How to decrypt and verify text or files with GPG Services?
- open finder
- right-click the .gpg file you want to decrypt
- select Services > OpenPGP: Decrypt File
If your passphrase is not in the cache or stored in the macOS Keychain, pinentry will ask for it:
Once the decryption is finished you will see a message. If the encrypted file was also signed GPG Services will automatically verify that signature and also display the result of that.
The decrypted file will be right next to the encrypted file, that is in the same folder as the encrypted file.
If you receive an encrypted text message (either in a browser or as a .txt file) please
- mark the entire PGP message starting from
"-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----" to "-----END PGP MESSAGE-----"
- open services menu and select Services > OpenPGP: Decrypt (if the text is not editable, e.g. if you are in a browser or a chat client, the required operation is called Services > OpenPGP: Decrypt Selection to New Window)
- if your passphrase is not in the cache or stored in the macOS Keychain, pinentry will ask for it
Once the decryption is finished you will see the decrypted text and the results of the signature verification:
Note: opening the services menu is possible via right-click. Then select Services > OpenPGP: OperationYouWant. For some obscure reason a right-click services-menu is not offered in all programs (e.g. Firefox). In that case use the top menu: click on the name of the current program, then Services > OpenPGP: OperationYouWant.