GPG Mail: 30 dollar fee

sicntired

29 Jan, 2019 03:25 AM

I live in Canada.$27.98 us is well over 35 dollars Canadian.When I signed on everything worked well and I used it once.I had to, after a time,reboot(reinstall)the GPG suite as it wasn’t showing any longer on my e mail?When I redid the GPG it gave a 30 day trial, which I never used, and demanded this fee?The greed that has overtaken even OS software is all encompassing.The greed of Apple is disgusting.They are the wealthiest company n the exchanger perhaps down to #2.They rake in billions and pay no taxes.I will never pay for a free service.When Apple stops hiding their money from the IRS.I’ll think less about paying added fees.Everything has become worse after Jobs death.The greed is unbridled.They have shut down one service after another.I have no idea what we’re paying for?Their hands are always in our pockets.

Expected
I expected the same service I had before.It never fails to amaze me how each upgrade is simply the deletion of more services.Less things, often purchased at great expense are no longer supported with no refund.Someone else should get sick.He’s certainly making Mac purchasers sick of his selfishness and lack of imagination.When did taking things away become an upgrade?

The new version of Mac GPG suite is now demanding a fee of 30 dollars a year?This was a free service?I would gladly pay a by use fee.As I almost never use the encryption.Can anyone suggest a service that's free?If so,how can I uninstall the mac version of GPG suite?Or is there a by the message fee I can access?

Additional info
At least set up a fee structure that suits every user.I have to pay the same as a business?For 1-5 uses a year?30+dollars to encrypt a single e mail?

macOS                   10.13.6     17G5019
GPG Suite               2018.5      2368    (6f26711)
GPG Mail                3.0.1       1347    (39fef82b)  Trial Expired
GPG Keychain            1.4.6       1514    (560b5a9)
GPG Services            1.11.6      1056    (ad0c960)
MacGPG                  2.2.10      921     (b487092)
GPG Suite Preferences   2.1.4       1077    (ad934a9)
Libmacgpg               0.8.7       895     (78f424a)
pinentry                1.1.0       10      (1ff8803)
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 01 Feb, 2019 11:06 PM

Hi there,

we understand, that having to pay for a previously free to use product feels frustrating. Please note that GPG Suite is made by GPGTools which is an Indy Dev Company. I wish Apple was paying for the development of GPG Mail but they are not. And yes, companies making money should pay taxes. The current situation is inacceptable and things are starting to change in that area, although there's obviously lots of room for improvement. See also: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45566364

We are really sorry, that the switch to the payment model was not communicate as clearly as it should have. More info on that can be found in the following documents - especially the Open Letter:

If you are using OpenPGP rather seldom, maybe Thunderbird + Enigmail is an option for you to fall back to for such occasions?

All the best,
    Steve

2. 2 Posted by sicntired on 09 Feb, 2019 07:31 AM

Thanks for your e mail.I had already looked into thunderbird and it’s a paid service as well.I’m now looking into secure e mails like enigmail.There are many choices and I’m certain I can find one that suits my needs.I almost never use encryption as no-one I communicate with has any interest.The few sites that have it as a requirement are starting to bug me about getting on it.Which is what i am doing.

3. 3 Posted by douglas_goodall on 09 Feb, 2019 08:18 PM

It is a yearly fee. I don't send enough encrypted mail to do that. It must be nice to get people to pay you money to write software based on free software components.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 10 Feb, 2019 01:55 PM

@sicntired: Thunderbird is free. Here's the website: https://thunderbird.net

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac