GPG Keychain will not let me create a private key

Tom Conrad

21 Jul, 2018 07:27 PM

version info

I try to create a passphrase but every attempt it prompts that it is an incorrect passphrase when i have not even created a passphrase yet. This happens when i attempt to make a private key and i am given this?? Ive spent days working on this now watching tutorials and reading forums not having any luck to anyone having this specific issue.
Export failed !!!!
Code = 0
Error text:
gpg: key A506E7981E21636F63B563CEDE096956C2D636A6: error receiving key from agent: Bad passphrase - skipped
gpg: key 1C90574846FEFB7432E8BE5313545E5465EC33C7: error receiving key from agent: Bad passphrase - skipped
gpg: WARNING: nothing exported

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 29 Jul, 2018 05:26 PM

Hi Tom,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

Can you please restart your mac and then download and install our latest hotfix GPG Suite and see if that solves your problem.

Are you then able to create a new key in GPG Keychain?

In case the problem persists:

1. Please give exact steps you take to create a new key and
    2. send a debug log from your affected machine: Open System Preferences > GPG Suite > Send Report. Check the box to "attach debug log". Since you already described your issue in this discussion, you don't need to add a lot of detail, but please do add the link to your existing discussion, so I can then merge your debug info with this existing discussion.

All the best,
    steve

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

2. Steve closed this discussion on 08 Aug, 2018 04:06 PM.

3. Steve re-opened this discussion on 08 Aug, 2018 04:07 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 08 Aug, 2018 04:07 PM

Another question: Did you ever install a custom gpg version with fink/macports/brew/homebrew/from source? If so, could you remove it, repeat the steps and see if you are still running into the error message.

5. 3 Posted by Thomas Conrad on 21 Aug, 2018 04:20 PM

Hey, no luck yet.
    Installed the hotfix with no prevail. I than went ahead to create a Bug report with a debug log but after completely filling it out i was promoted to give my passphrase for the private key which cannot be done because i cannot create one (The main issue in the first place) so I've went ahead and created a new discussion with the old discussion attached as asked to, provided a screenshot with version info as asked. Not to sure what to do at this point, just such a teaser as its the last part of this whole setup!! help would be greatly appreciated.

6. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 23 Aug, 2018 03:01 PM

Should you be available, could you hop on our live chat here:
    https://www.hipchat.com/gyyOrLdWt

We can't promise a solution, but we'd like to inspect this problem in more detail. When joining the live chat, please post the URL of this discussion so we know which case you are contacting us about.

All the best
    steve

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 23 Aug, 2018 03:22 PM

Could you create a short screencast using the onboard QuickTime software showing what happens when you create a new key using GPG Keychain?

• open QuickTime
    • in the menubar select File > New Screen Recording
    • in the new window, click the dropdown arrow next to the record icon and enable 'Show Mouse Clicks in Recording'
    • press record and reproduce the problem you are having with GPG Suite

To end the recording, press the 'Stop' icon in the menubar icon section. Save the file and attach it to your existing discussion by visiting your discussion in your browser.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac