GPG Keychain unable to decrypt selected contents

ricardo.e.galvez

15 Jan, 2020 05:43 PM

I encrypted the contents of a simple .txt file using the OpenPGP services feature: Encrypt Selection. Now when I go to decrypt using the same service, I am getting an error:

"Unable to decrypt the selected contents The secret key required to decrypt the content is not available.
The content is encrypted to the keys with the following fingerprints:"

The particular key in the keychain is public and does not have the matching finger print, but it's subkey does match. Is there a way to extract, or otherwise use the subkey to decrypt the selection?

some details about my system:
MacOS 10.12.6
gpg V.1.5

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 19 Jan, 2020 09:09 PM

Hi Ricardo,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

Have you created a secret/public key for yourself already? You encrypted a message to a public key. In order to decrypt you will need to have access to the corresponding secret key part (+ password) of that key. As you do not have that, decryption won't work.

If you are new to OpenPGP we recommend reading the Getting Started Tutorial.

Don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear or you have open questions after going through the KB article.

Best,
    Steve

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac