GPGTools keychain verification help on MAC

datefun123

17 Jun, 2019 01:44 PM

First of all I please advise if this is the correct channel for these type of questions ? If not can you direct me in the correct direction.

Setup: I have a MACbook pro 2015 with macOS Mojave 10.14.5

I want to install an application on my MAC and the provider advised me to verify the download install file via your tool GPGTool. I have followed the beginner instructions on your site up to creating a personal key and importing the public key from the source. I have also saved a hash file in the same directory as the downloaded install file. And now I need to somehow verify the key before I can savely install the software.

I have discovered that when I click on the file in Finder I get a number of options under Services. Now I need to know how to proceed.
Please note that I have not bought your tool and have not setup any mail encryption yet, as I only want to use your tool for the verification of this file for now.

I have scanned for any clues on your site and tried the Windows user tutorial but it only help t me so much. And I did not want to just click all Services and see what happens because I do not know if that will cause more trouble.

Kindest regards

Bernard

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 19 Jun, 2019 11:23 AM

Hi Bernhard,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

This KB-article explains how to verify the downloaded GPG Suite.

Let me know if you have more questions or need further assistance after going through that KB.

Kind regards,
    Steve

2. 2 Posted by datefun123 on 19 Jun, 2019 12:47 PM

Hi Steve,

Surprise ! I was not sure if I actually posted a question yesterday, but apparently I did. Many thanks for your reply but I managed to get someone from the Monero team to walk me through the details last night. It took us more than an hour to do the verification. But it was successful.

To be honest, as a ’regular’ user (I am a ICT projectmanager, with 25 years experience and limited technical knowledge) it is difficult to find the correct instructions, and if you find them it is hard to understand for a ’regular’ user. You clearly need technical skill to understand how to use your tool.

Now I am not sure what target audience you have in mind for your tool but there is an opportunity for improvement I guess If you aim at regular users (meaning none tech users).

Kindest regards,

Bernard

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 19 Jun, 2019 02:29 PM

Thanks for that feedback. Can you share which part of the KB you specifically found hard to follow?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac