GPG Mail: Unable to encrypt or decrypt with general key

Nils Melchert

18 Nov, 2020 08:07 AM

Hello,

before purchasing the support plan of this plugin, I have a question for general use. My situation is the following:

My team uses a single gpg-key pair for communicating with a company, which in turn also uses only a single key-pair.
However, when I am trying to send an encrypted mail to one of our clients, the encryption icon is greyed out (clearly, because his mail does not match the one in the key). Is there a way to get around this, so that I can encrypt my mails with any key that I like?

Have a nice day,
Nils

1. Steve closed this discussion on 18 Nov, 2020 09:39 AM.

2. Steve re-opened this discussion on 18 Nov, 2020 09:43 AM

3. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 18 Nov, 2020 09:43 AM

Hi Nils,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

Are you able to send an encrypted and signed email to yourself?

If that works can you please double check with your contact that you have the correct public key of them and that the email address used for that key perfectly matches the email you are using in the "To:" field of your draft.

Best,
    Steve

4. 2 Posted by Nils Melchert on 18 Nov, 2020 10:16 AM

Hello,
    that is actually the problem. The email for the recipient does not match the email of that key. This is, because the whole company uses a single key for decryption.

Cheers,
    Nils

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 18 Nov, 2020 10:17 AM

6. 4 Posted by Nils Melchert on 18 Nov, 2020 12:17 PM

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

One more thing. Is the subscription permanently or per year or per month?

Greetings,
    Nils Melchert

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 18 Nov, 2020 12:26 PM

Following is an explanation how GPG Mail Support Plan works and how long it is valid:

Our FAQ (https://gpgtools.org/faq) states: "A release of a new major version of GPG Mail will most likely coincide with a new major macOS release, but certainly not more often than that.“

You can think of it as a yearly subscription, but it’s not exactly that. GPG Mail 4 supports macOS 10.13 - 10.15. GPG Mail 5 adds support for macOS 11 Big Sur. GPG Mail 4 will no longer receive updates and you can decide if you want to stay on GPG Mail 4 or if you want to keep continue getting updates and purchase a support plan for GPG Mail 5. Each macOS release could have the consequence that we have to completely re-reverse and rewrite major portions of our code. We wanted to keep the option open to support new OS releases with the existing GPG Mail, if we see that Apple didn’t change the internals that much. Does that make sense?

Best regards,
    Steve

8. 6 Posted by Nils Melchert on 18 Nov, 2020 12:42 PM

That totally makes sense. Thank you.

Regarding the link you sent me, what am I supposed to enter for fingerprint?

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Steve on 18 Nov, 2020 12:45 PM

The fingerprint would be the fingerprint of the public key you want to assign to the domain in question. Make sure to enter it without spaces.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac