Installer: Unable to install GPG Suite after upgrade to macOS Catalina

Benjamin Yong

19 Jul, 2019 08:29 AM

Hello there,

I’m not sure if I should refer this problem to you, but I am not able to install a copy of the macOS version of GPG Suite onto my machine macOS Cataline (Beta) since I’ve just upgrade/update my macOS from Mojave to Catalina.

I know that macOS Catalina is still in beta version at the present moment. Pardon my ignorance, as I am a macOS novice, do I need to make some configuration to allow unsecured applications to be installed.

Thanks

Expected
I would expect that the installer kit to be installed as per normal, like what I’ve experience in macOS Mojave

macOS                   10.15       19A512f
GPG Suite               2018.5      2368    (6f26711)
GPG Mail    -
GPG Keychain            1.4.6       1514    (560b5a9)
GPG Services            1.11.6      1056    (ad0c960)
MacGPG                  2.2.10      921     (b487092)
GPG Suite Preferences   2.1.4       1077    (ad934a9)
Libmacgpg               0.8.7       895     (78f424a)
pinentry                1.1.0       10      (1ff8803)
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 20 Jul, 2019 07:14 PM

Hi Benjamin,

thanks for taking the time to report this problem.

We are aware of macOS 10.15 Catalina developer releases. The fact that GPG Mail will not work until there is an official release is expected. We connected this discussion with the corresponding ticket and will let you know as soon as we have a version ready for testing.

Following is an explanation of why GPG Mail is rendered incompatible after macOS updates:

While a new major version of Mail.app may introduce only minor visual changes, the codebase underneath it changes dramatically. Other Mail applications provide a number of functions, plugin developers can leverage to extend the application. These functions are guaranteed not to be changed or if they are, developers are notified in advance in order to adapt their plugins to the changes. This however is not the case for Mail.app. Apple can and does change everything they want whenever they want to. There's no notification of what has changed whatsoever, not even for the developers of the most popular Mail plugins.

Especially during the beta phase of new major versions of macOS, Apple usually introduces a slew of major internal changes with each beta. So in the worst case, plugin developers have to reverse engineer Mail again and again in order to find new or modified functions they could use to enhance Mail the way they need to. In the worst case, those changes can require us to re-reverse engineer most of Mail.app and rewrite a whole lot of code. Other developers might not be as strongly affected by the changes, since it heavily depends on the Mail functions previously relied upon by each plugin.

It's hard to tell when there will be an official (beta) release of GPG Mail for macOS Catalina. But we linked your discussion with the corresponding ticket and will update you as we have news.

Best,
    Steve

2. 2 Posted by Benjamin Yong on 21 Jul, 2019 03:58 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

I really appreciate the detailed explanation. Frankly speaking, I did not
    thought of the implications that could result from "merely upgrade of the
    macOS" thinking that I would get to enjoy the benefits of the new macOS
    without giving consideration of any compatibilities issues.

Regards
    Benjamin

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 21 Jul, 2019 11:47 AM

The fact that Apple decided to make the betas public may suggest the betas are considered stable enough for that. But that is not always the case. Especially for macOS that can mean all sorts of exciting changes from plug-ins no longer working, to scanners becoming expensive paperweights or soundcards no longer functioning and no easy path to downgrade. So if you can, it is recommended to stay with the stable release of macOS.

If you need to access the macOS betas to develop software, your best bet is, to install them on a separate drive or dual boot.

We'll keep you posted once a first test version of GPG Mail is available.

Have a great weekend,
    Steve

4. Steve closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2019 11:47 AM.

5. Benjamin Yong re-opened this discussion on 21 Jul, 2019 11:52 AM

6. 4 Posted by Benjamin Yong on 21 Jul, 2019 11:52 AM

Hi Steve,

Noted with thanks. I will take note of that.

Regards
    Benjamin

7. Steve closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2019 01:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac