Opening GPG Mail causes signatures with card to fail

alexmalinovich

21 May, 2018 10:52 PM

Which of our tools is giving you problems? GPG Mail possibly, or something related

Attach a screenshot of the version info for all installed components (how to: https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/kb/faq/where-can-i-find-version-info...): https://cl.ly/1C1e1R2A3D18

Describe your problem. Add as much detail as possible. If I try to sign something with the key stored on my Yubikey, eveything works fine from either the command line, or Finder -> Services -> OpenPGP: Sign File.

If I then open up Mail with GPG Mail loaded, signatures fail both in GPG Mail and in the command line and in Finder with a card error.

What did you expect instead

For signing to keep working even after Mail is opened

Describe steps leading to the problem.

Insert card:

~$ gpg --clearsign testfile.txt
gpg: using "<my key id>" as default secret key for signing
GPGTools asks me to unlock my card and everything works fine.

I then open Mail and view an encrypted email, GPGTools asks me to unlock my card again for some reason, and then I try creating another signature:

~$ gpg --clearsign testfile.txt
gpg: signing failed: Card error
gpg: plextest.txt: clear-sign failed: Card error

Are you using any other Mail.app plugins?

No

1. 1 Posted by alexmalinovich on 21 May, 2018 10:56 PM

I should add that I've tried quitting and restarting Mail.app as well as killing and restarting gpg-agent and scdaemon with gpgconf --kill gpg-agent followed by gpg --card-status.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac