GPGPreferences on 10.6 no opening due to ARC transition (was: Error code 0)

IAN

15 Jun, 2014 08:27 PM

Hi

I hoped I might find some help here. I've tried to decrypt a file from mac mail, yet when i click on the file, it says:

Import failed! Code = 0

Error text:
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=40)
gpg: read_block: read error: Invalid packet
gpg: import from `/dev/fd/5' failed: Invalid keyring
gpg: Total number processed: 0

I followed the thread below re:the same problem and checked i'm not behind a firewall (changed to port 80).

http://support.gpgtools.org/discussions/everything/19903-error-code...

I also ran the text in terminal, as mentioned, which showed the following:

keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --search-keys mento
gpg: searching for "mento" from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
(1) Roman Zechmeister [email blocked] Roman Zechmeister [email blocked] Roman Zechmeister [email blocked] Roman Zechmeister [email blocked] 4096 bit RSA key 46A957B0, created: 2009-11-14 (2) Andrea Di Mento (Orizzonti address) [email blocked] 1024 bit DSA key 95C550F3, created: 2002-05-29 (3) Andrea Di Mento (Fastweb address) [email blocked] 1024 bit DSA key 72AC385F, created: 2002-05-29 (4) Mento [email blocked] 1024 bit DSA key EFBF3831, created: 1999-10-06 (5) Matthew V. Mento [email blocked] 1024 bit DSA key F6BA465C, created: 1999-02-11 (6) Joe Mento [email blocked] 1024 bit DSA key 8F75EE13, created: 1998-03-24 (7) Joe Mento [email blocked] 1024 bit DSA key 0CFFE3E6, created: 1998-01-17 Keys 1-7 of 7 for "mento". Enter number(s), N)ext, or Q)uit >

Thanks in advance for any help

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 19 Jun, 2014 10:36 PM

Hi Ian,

could you please download and install our latest nightly build and see if the problem persists.

You can find sig and SHA1 on the GPGTools Nightlies page.

If the issue persists, could you please post a screenshot of the error message you are seeing and describe the exact steps you take leading to that problem.

All the best, steve

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

2. 2 Posted by IAN MARTIN on 20 Jun, 2014 04:13 PM

Hi Steve

Thanks for the message. I downloaded and installed the latest nightly however the problem does persist.

I've attached a screenshot of the error as requested. To get to, I simply tried to open a msg (.asc file) from mac mail. It seems I can't open gpg access for some reason atm - according to the error.

Regards,

Ian

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 20 Jun, 2014 10:20 PM

1. whichever software made that sceenshot, it's incredibly small and I can not read anything at all. Could you just shift + cmd + 4 and drag a frame around that error message and re-upload the screenshot then. That should produce a much larger image.

2. Which OS X are you on? You didn't answer our default questions. Also please post another screenshot of System Preferences > GPGPreferences > Updates. That should be very helpful.

Best, steve

4. 4 Posted by IAN MARTIN on 21 Jun, 2014 07:29 AM

Please find attached the screenshot:

I'm on 10.6.8 - mid/late 2009 mac book pro software.

What were the default questions and where were they? In the last e-mail?

I've attached the this error message that came up when I tried to open gpg preferences:

Thanks again,

Ian

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 29 Jun, 2014 12:57 PM

Hi Ian,

please don't double post the same reply. It's best to use your browser (instead of mail client) for replies to prevent this from happening.

We've a ticket for this problem:

https://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/66966/tickets/60

If this discussion get's closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed so you'll receive a notification. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

Our latest nightly build has a nasty workaround. But this is not the final solution. Open GPG Keychain Access and look at those preferences...

All the best, steve

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

6. 6 Posted by IAN MARTIN on 29 Jun, 2014 06:13 PM

Hi Steve

Thanks for the e-mail. I seem to have got it up and running again now.
    Thank you for your help however.

Cheers
    Ian

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Steve on 29 Jun, 2014 07:18 PM

Oh That's great. So did you install the stable build? That should also work just fine.

Best, steve

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Steve on 31 Jul, 2014 01:25 PM

Just FYI: fixed in the latest nightly. Or stick with the stable build.

9. Steve closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2014 01:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac