Compiling MacGPG2 2.0.22 on OS X 10.5 PPC (was: pinentry-mac "Returning nil _server" console error and high CPU demand)

jwq

16 May, 2014 10:37 PM

Hi,

I'm having some real problems with pinentry-mac from GnuPG/MacGPG2 version 2.0.16 running under Mac OS 10.5 PPC. I believe that 2.0.16 is the latest version that will run on PPC.

Whenever pinentry-mac is called (from Enigmail version 1.1.2) the dialog is displayed, the CPU is pegged by the process and several messages are written to the console:

May 17 10:25:24 iMac G5 com.sourceforge.macgpg2.gpg-agent[77]: 2014-05-17 10:25:24.159 pinentry-mac[11507:10b] ****** Returning nil _server **********
May 17 10:25:29 iMac G5 pinentry-mac[11507]: ****** Returning nil _server **********

It takes around 10 seconds for the dialog to register keystrokes and sometimes the entire passphrase is not registered - the keystrokes disappear somewhere other than the entry field. To enter a passphrase can take 20-40 seconds. This is really annoying.

I also see the "launchd only supported for real users" error from gpg-agent which has also been reported on the GPGTools Support Forum http://support.gpgtools.org/discussions/everything/253-gpg-agent-and-launchd. Maybe this is related?

I'd really appreciate any help that could be given to resolve this problem, it's a major annoyance - as I'm sure everyone can understand!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 23 May, 2014 05:23 PM

Hi jwq,

as you can see, the problem has been fixed in MacGPG 2.0.18. Latest MacGPG2 release is 2.0.22.

We can not offer support for PPC since we no longer develop on that platform.

So if you want to use the latest patches and versions of our tools your only chance is to get a new machine.

Sorry I don't have better news.

All the best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by jwq on 24 May, 2014 12:14 AM

Thanks, Steve, for replying.

In principle, am I able to download the 2.0.22 source code and compile with Xcode 3.1.4 under Mac OS 10.5 (PPC)?

I have Xcode 3.1.4 installed, but past experience indicates I'll need some help with compile-time problems requiring "inside knowledge". Would such help - from those who previously compiled for Mac OS 10.5 PPC be available?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 25 May, 2014 12:44 PM

More bad news: we do not support PPC compilation.

So you'd really have to dig into specifics and adjust a ton of stuff if you want to get this done.

You could have a look at the git repo and look for older versions: https://github.com/GPGTools/MacGPG2

So either add PPC compilation to the newer release or backport the bugfix. Both are a huge amount of work. Buying a newer machine will be a lot easier (although more expensive).

Hope you can find a way to get this done.

4. Steve closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2014 07:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac