GPG Keychain: "Receive Keys Fail!"

jackr

10 Jul, 2013 11:14 PM

I fetched some keys from the key server; I think the operation was completely successful, but I got an Alert "Receive keys failed!".

GPG Keychain Access 1.0 (196)

To reproduce:

• Keyserver: pool.sks-keyservers.net
  • Cmd-F search for "Jack Repenning" (no quotes). Some notes about the return, as I see it:
    • One key is listed in red, and unchecked. I believe this one is expired.
    • Eight keys are listed in B&W, and checked.
    • Actually, I already have them all on my keyring (they're me!)
  • [Retrieve key]
  • (ordinary churning, bubbling, boiling action)
  • The named alert appears (see attachment for full text)

The alert mentions "Code = 0", which sounds like success.

There are warnings in the result (one pubkey is newer than its signature, due to an ancient PGP bug, one "no valid user IDs").

There are a variety of info messages in the output: "requesting ...", "not changed", and some blather from a trustdb update.

I don't see any messages that seem like errors (unless you care to count the "key is newer than sig" or the "no self-signature", which I'd rather you didn't count, as there's no way to remove such a pub key, nor to update it).

Retrying doesn't show the trustdb update, but is otherwise the same (and still seems to signal a bogus error). Also attached

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 10 Jul, 2013 11:28 PM

Hi Jack,

so sorry for this terrible UI.
    You're right it shouldn't show an error at all. If anything, it should show a warning that a key couldn't be downloaded because of the missing self-signature.
    I've created a ticket to fix this bug. You can follow progress here:
    https://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/65684-gpg-keychain-acce...

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 21 Jul, 2013 08:48 AM

I'm closing this discussion for overview purposes. It will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed so you'll receive a notification. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

3. Steve closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2013 08:48 AM.

4. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 06 Feb, 2015 10:43 AM

Hi Jack,

this issue has been fixed. If you want to test the fix, please download our latest nightly GPG Suite. That page also has sig and SHA1 to verify the download.

It would be great to remove the key in question from GPG Keychain, install the nightly and try to see if the issue is indeed fixed for you.

Should the problem persist, please re-open this discussion. If you have other questions you can open a new one any time.

Besides that: you should update at leeast to OS X 10.8.5. Are you planning on updating to 10.10?

Best, steve

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet, so bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test this fix.

5. Steve closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2015 10:43 AM.

6. Steve re-opened this discussion on 09 Feb, 2015 05:46 PM

7. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 09 Feb, 2015 05:46 PM

Jack, thanks for testing and your feedback.

8. Steve closed this discussion on 09 Feb, 2015 05:47 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac