GPG encrypts account that isn't listed

h_nachtigall

23 Feb, 2019 04:26 PM

I have different accounts in my mail-program - some of them are listed in my GPG-Keychain, some are not.
If I send a mail from a listed account I see buttons to choose, if I want to encrypt the mail or not - and everything works fine.
If I send a mail from a account, that isn't listed, I don't see the buttons (which is correct), but the mail is encrypted and therefore cannot be read from the recipient.

How can I stop encrypting mails send from non-GPG-accounts?

I'm using mail for mac on an iMac with MacOs 10.14.3

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 25 Feb, 2019 03:40 PM

Hi h_nachtigall,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

Can you please do the following: send an email from the account, for which you do not have an OpenPGP key in GPG Keychain. As recipient use the same account email.

Are you then able to read that message once you receive it?

Best,
    Steve

2. 2 Posted by h_nachtigall on 25 Feb, 2019 05:12 PM

Hi Steve,

I´m really confused. The Mail I send myself received in normal (not encrypted) text. But the mail I sent to someone else couldn´t be read.
    I think I talk with my friend first to find out, why he couldn´t read my mail.

Thanks for your help
    Holger

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 25 Feb, 2019 07:01 PM

Hi Holger,

any email leaving your machine can only be encrypted for an account for which a sec/pub key exists in GPG Keychain. So the behaviour you describe indeed sounds unexpected.

You could ask your friend to extract the received message as eml file, zip it and send it over to you. IF you want attach the message in question and we can take a closer look.

Please export the message in question, so that we can have a closer look. To export, simply select the message in Mail.app and press CMD + SHIFT + S, select "Raw Message Source" as type and save it. We won't of course be able to decrypt it, but it will help with analyzing and hopefully finding a solution for your problem.

Attach the resulting .eml file to this discussion by visiting it in your browser (email reply should work but sometimes attachments do not arrive).

Best,
    Steve

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac