Email sent using S/MIME aren't encrypter

Samuel

20 Jan, 2019 05:02 PM

When I write a new mail and select OpenPGP on the top right corner everything works but when I select S/MIME the button is grey instead of green and it doesn't encrypt the message, though it alerts me it doesn't. I created pub/private keys and uploaded my public to the keyserver pool, I tried all the option to no avail. The OpenPGP option as well as the inline PGP both work amazingly though so great job !

I'm using the latest stable version of GPGtools on macOs Mojave with everything up to date and installed from the .dmg

1. 1 Posted by Samuel on 21 Jan, 2019 11:12 AM

Okay sorry I misunderstood the inner workings of S/MIME. Turns out you need to install a certificate signed from a CA in order to use it. After getting a free S/MIME cert signed by a big CA I could sign my messages in S/MIME and encrypt them.

So no issue with GPGTools, sorry for disturbing you.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 21 Jan, 2019 10:02 PM

Hi Samuel,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

To add some more information - this security stackexchange thread covers the questions how OpenPGP and S/MIME differ:
    https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/7874/how-does-pgp-diff...

All the best,
    Steve

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac