Problems uninstalling GPG Suite

John Hopkins

19 Sep, 2018 05:25 PM

I have removed GPG Tools from being operative on my Mail and system in 10,13.6 yet it is still nagging me when I compose on Mail. In fact, if you keep composing it comes back more frequently and eventually crashes mail every time and I have frustrating have lost email although I saved drafts to present that from happening. GPG Tools has somehow infected Mail even if removed from its operation on the system. I cannot think about how to correct this except to re-install the entire OS just to fix the Mail problem. I have had nothing but problems with every version of GPG Tools I have used and would not recommend installing it on your system. Too bad as it could be useful but its noth worth the frustration which still haunts and interrupts my work to this day, even after removing it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Sep, 2018 05:29 PM

Hi John,

we are very sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems with our GPG Suite.
    Could you describe how exactly you went about to uninstall GPG Suite or GPGMail?
    Our uninstaller generally cleans everything related to GPG Suite (https://gpgtools.org/uninstaller)
    If you don't want your drafts to be encrypted, you can change that under Mail -> Preferences -> GPGMail -> Encrypt drafts

We hope that helps!

P.S.: We can absolutely understand if you are frustrated with our suite, seeing that it has been causing you problems. We try do always do the best to help our users with them. Please refrain however from hijacking other users discussions. Thanks.

2. 2 Posted by Square Deal Pro... on 20 Sep, 2018 07:56 AM

Square Deal Productions Atlantic Inc.'s Avatar

Thanks Luke,

I was not hijacking anyone’s discussion but simply and honest describing my experience with this software which was not fun and in fact caused me to lose email and lots of hard work composing them.

The software is very buggy and really only beta. However, it has promise, just not truly ready to release.

John

www.squaredeal.ca

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 20 Sep, 2018 08:19 AM

Hey John,

the discussion you decided to post your problem in was: https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/76830-error-whi...

We have since moved your comment into it's own discussion as your issue is unrelated to the problem the original poster is seeing.

Luke was asking about the specific steps you took to uninstall GPG Suite and / or GPG Mail. Without that information it's hard to help you out in this case.

Luke also offered a solution to the problem you reported.

"GPG Tools has somehow infected Mail even if removed from its operation on the system" is a bit harsh, don't you think?

Did the uninstaller not work as expected for you?

Best,
    steve

4. 4 Posted by Square Deal Pro... on 20 Sep, 2018 08:38 AM

Square Deal Productions Atlantic Inc.'s Avatar

Just delete my post.

Sorry I have been so angry with this software, it really has played havoc with my work.

Crashes constantly.

I upgraded and did all you said to no avail.

Uninstaller seems to be working so far. I thought it was uninstalled. I followed the steps under the following page at the top: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&source=hp&ei=toaiW_nWH7C3ggf_nJKwAQ&q=remove+gpgmail+plugin&oq=Remove+GPGMail&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.2129.10984.0.14558.24.16.5.3.3.0.256.1873.6j9j1.16.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.24.1931...0i131k1j0i10k1.0.QNdZ3iveoAQ <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&source=hp&ei=toaiW_nWH7C3ggf_nJKwAQ&q=remove+gpgmail+plugin&oq=Remove+GPGMail&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0.2129.10984.0.14558.24.16.5.3.3.0.256.1873.6j9j1.16.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.24.1931...0i131k1j0i10k1.0.QNdZ3iveoAQ>

Obviously, did not work, I believed it was your recommendation. So not sure why there are multiple solutions offered to this. Not something folks should be blamed for in trying to get the software off one’s system.

Good luck with it, I am sure it will evolve as it should. I feel it’s too buggy and prone to crashing, that’s been the experience across multiple versions.

John

www.squaredeal.ca

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 20 Sep, 2018 08:46 AM

We can totally understand your frustration. We'd be interested in inspecting the crashes you are seeing. Would a screenshare session be an option in which you show us, when you are running into the crashes in question?

So far we've not received a crash log from you. That would also be very helpful in understand what's going on on your system and why you keep running into that understandably frustrating crash situation.

6. 6 Posted by Square Deal Pro... on 20 Sep, 2018 03:44 PM

Hi Steve,

I have removed the software. I can re-install it and save the log. Screenshare is no use as it is random and occur anytime. Sometimes in an hour, sometimes in minutes and also when adding attachments.

John

http://www.squaredeal.ca

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Steve on 20 Sep, 2018 03:51 PM

OK, whatever works for you. We are in the midst of preparing the next release. Maybe you want to give that a try when it is published.

If you have capacity, copying the crash log to TextEdit and sending the crash log our way as attachment to a reply to this discussion would be appreciated.

8. 8 Posted by Square Deal Pro... on 20 Sep, 2018 06:06 PM

Just trying to help. Send me the new release when ready and I will test it.

http://www.squaredeal.ca

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Steve on 24 Oct, 2018 10:18 PM

Please excuse the late reply, we are deeply sorry for not responding earlier. The amount of feedback we received in regards to the GPG Suite 2018.4 release was overwhelming. We are doing our best to catch up as fast as we can.

In case you are still interested in debugging the new version: GPG Suite 2018.5 has been released and is available on our website.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac