encrypted & signed messages not showing as signed in version 2018.3 of GPGMail

gpg_dude

02 Jul, 2018 08:57 PM

Which of our tools is giving you problems?

GPGMail

Attach a screenshot of the version info for all installed components (how to: https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/kb/faq/where-can-i-find-version-info...):

See attached

Describe your problem. Add as much detail as possible.

I think this changed with 2018.3, but haven't rolled back to 2018.2 to confirm the exact time it started. I have some messages that are signed & encrypted. Using the GPG CLI tool it sees & verifies the signature and then decrypts the message. However, using GPGMail & the macOS - only the encrypted lock icon & word "Encrypted" shows up in "Security: " under the main message heads (From/Subject/To). The message is still displayed and also starts with "Encrypted & Signed PGP part" ... though all the text in the message body seems to be contained within the that box implying all of the content was Encrypted & Signed.

What did you expect instead

I expect to see the the "Signed" check icon along with info about which key signed the message. I also should be able to click the check icon to get more details in a popup.

Describe steps leading to the problem.

Not sure what to say here. I noticed this with a message received from schleuder - an encrypted mailing list solution. Upon checking older messages from the same system that I'm almost positive did show the correct behavior (signed & verified in GPGMail) previously, I realized they were now also showing the new/wrong behavior.

Are you using any other Mail.app plugins?

No

Other information

Below is what I see in the encrypted payload - aside from all the standard headers - and with the message content scrubbed

Content-Type: multipart/encrypted;
boundary="--==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b"; protocol="application/pgp-encrypted" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Errors-To: [email blocked]

This is an OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
----==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b Content-Type: application/pgp-encrypted
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Description: PGP/MIME Versions Identification

Version: 1
----==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name=encrypted.asc Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline;
filename=encrypted.asc Content-Description: OpenPGP encrypted message
Content-ID: <[email blocked]>

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- PGP MESSAGE DATA -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

----==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b--

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 03 Jul, 2018 05:03 PM

I think we have a ticket for this problem. I connected this discussion with the existing ticket. That means, should this discussion get closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed. That way you'll stay in the loop and get notified as soon as we have news. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

Has this message been created using K9 mail by any chance?

Best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by gpg_dude on 03 Jul, 2018 09:33 PM

The messages were not created using K9 mail, but rather https://schleuder.org/

I also see messages showing the same behavior sent from users via Thunderbird

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Jul, 2018 03:02 PM

Hi gpg_dude,

thanks for the update. We are currently working on a fix and it should be available soon.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2018-07-02_at_1.46.02_PM.png 86 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac