Can't connect to server

Patrick

26 Jan, 2012 07:55 PM

Running OS X 10.7.2, just installed GPG Keychain, created my key, etc etc. When trying to do anything with a keychain server, send a key, searching for a key, etc, I get:

Sending key failed
Send keys failed!
Code = 0

(this is with any keychain servers)

Any guesses?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 26 Jan, 2012 11:53 PM

Hey Patrick. We are aware of this issue. I noticed this with my version of GPG Keychain Access as well. We don't have a solution, yet - but we're investigating. More to come and sry I don't have a better answer currently.

All the best, steve

2. 2 Posted by Patrick on 27 Jan, 2012 02:45 PM

I switched my network connection over to another source, seems to work now, so I suspect it is a port / firewall issue. What ports are required to be open for this system to work?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 27 Jan, 2012 02:57 PM

Hi Patrick,

according to the official gpg docs the communication with the keyservers is using HTTP but via port 11371.
    So if you have a strict outgoing firewall you might have to open that port up.
    For TCP only, I reckon.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 27 Jan, 2012 02:58 PM

Also, a lot of keyservers are not working reliably, so there might be more sources of failure.

5. 5 Posted by Patrick LaRoche on 27 Jan, 2012 03:27 PM

Will look into it (corporate site, will have to work through the IT channels to see what they have blocked). Perhaps a better error message could be shown, seems simple enough to detect…

Thanks,
    -P

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Luke Le on 27 Jan, 2012 03:44 PM

A better error message is definitely necessary.
    To find out if the port is blocked you could simply try to telnet the port

7. 7 Posted by Patrick LaRoche on 27 Jan, 2012 03:50 PM

Thanks, that port is indeed blocked and I will try and get the IT staff to open it for me.

Cheers,
    -P

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Luke Le on 27 Jan, 2012 03:51 PM

Great!

Feel free to open a new discussion whenever you run into problems again.

9. Luke Le closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2012 03:51 PM.

10. Patrick LaRoche re-opened this discussion on 27 Jan, 2012 03:56 PM

11. 9 Posted by Patrick LaRoche on 27 Jan, 2012 03:56 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback. Side note I am a TA for a class where we do a tutorial on GPG and getting the students to install and use the service. We go through the entire process on a linux machine from the command line, accumulating in enigmail and thunderbird. They then have to go and install all the appropriate tools on their own computers (windows, mac, whatever they have) and email me a encrypted / signed email. It is fun to see how fast the mac users can do this vs others because of your tools, so thank you.

-P

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by Steve on 28 Jan, 2012 08:46 PM

Hey Patrick. I think that's the best compliment you can make a software developer: that is software is easy to use and setup. Using software should be fun and we try to make the experience as seamless as possible. There is still a lot to do, but we are on our way.

Thanks so much for your kind words.

13. Steve closed this discussion on 28 Jan, 2012 08:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac