GPG Keychain: Can't decrypt my files

Sasa Josipovic

20 Dec, 2017 04:26 AM

Every time I try to decrypt files previously encrypted I receive failure that I am using incorrect paraphrase which I know 1000% I am not ( I have it written and deposited in a safe which I double-checked and it matches that I know it to be and what I use). I am pretty much stuck since majority of my files are encrypted under two keys KEY ID E7BB93B0 and 142C2819 when I search for my public keys I get this response:

Please repeat your search and see if it works then. Should the problem persist, file a support request via System Preferences > GPG Suite > Send Report. Please copy the entire error message into the description field and add the search term you used for your query. We recommend to include the debug log, since that provides additional helpful information to solve your problem.

Details:
Search keys failed!
Code = 0
Error text:
gpg: searching for "Sasa Josipovic" from hkps server hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: key "Sasa Josipovic" not found on keyserver
gpg: keyserver internal error
gpg: keyserver search failed: keyserver error

or

Please repeat your search and see if it works then. Should the problem persist, file a support request via System Preferences > GPG Suite > Send Report. Please copy the entire error message into the description field and add the search term you used for your query. We recommend to include the debug log, since that provides additional helpful information to solve your problem.

Details:
Search keys failed!
Code = 0
Error text:
gpg: searching for "0x142C2819" from hkps server hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: key "0x142C2819" not found on keyserver
gpg: keyserver search failed: keyserver error

This all started happening ever since recent upgrade, which if I recall happened on November 30th 2017.

Expected
I expect to be allowed to unlock my encrypted files using preset paraphrase

macOS                   10.12.6     16G1114
GPG Suite               2017.2      2063    (e459897)
GPGMail                 2.7.1       1254    (7d871d1)
GPG Keychain            1.4.1       1391    (b5c89a4)
GPGServices             1.11.2      969     (e5438f7)
MacGPG                  2.2.3       895     (17e3e67)
GPG Suite Preferences   2.1.1       993     (05eb1a6)
Libmacgpg               0.8.1       826     (9410d73)
pinentry                0.9.7       6       (6aeb033)
  1. 1 Posted by Sasa Josipovic on 20 Dec, 2017 04:30 AM

When I attempt to decrypt my files I get this unknown error:

An unknown error occurred while decrypting this message.

GPG error message:
    gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...
    gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...
    gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 7C3798E7, created 2016-09-09
    "Sasa Josipovic [email blocked]" gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
    gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

Please contact us, including the GPG error message, at https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/

2. 2 Posted by Sasa Josipovic on 20 Dec, 2017 04:58 AM

More info that can be useful. So just tried to update my expiration date to be indefinite and when I attempt to update the public key I get server error as follows:

Send keys failed!
    Code = 0
    Error text:
    gpg: sending key 142C2819 to hkps server hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
    gpg: keyserver send failed: keyserver error

3. 3 Posted by Sasa Josipovic on 20 Dec, 2017 08:04 AM

Found what the issues is/was. Simply on another machine I installed your GPGTool, went about import of the public and secret key and I had no issues encrypting and decrypting files from that host. Leads me to believe on the host I used this tool originally either app or gpg directory or one of the conf files got corrupt. Unless you find direct answer within debug file, I will tomorrow go about few tests to pin point where the problem started.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 20 Dec, 2017 11:08 AM

Hi Sasa,

we are very sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with the latest version of GPG Suite.
    We believe this problem is triggered if a user has a custom GnuPG version installed along side of our MacGPG. From the debug log I can tell that that is the case for you.

Could you please download and install our latest GPG Suite nightly build and see if it solves your problem. That page also has sig and SHA256 to verify the download.
    https://releases.gpgtools.org/nightlies/

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

5. 5 Posted by Sasa Josipovic on 20 Dec, 2017 05:47 PM

Luke,

Thank you for the follow-up. Yes, the nightly release GPG Suite 2017.3 (2080n) did the trick, it does allow me to decrypt the files I previously encrypted. I was able to do it now using your tool set as well from my command prompt because I reexported and reimported and posted my keys on the host in question. Thank you for the help. Also, I am willing to help in testing any time, just depending on my day to day obligations I might be sometimes day or so in delay.

Regards,
    Sasa

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Luke Le on 20 Dec, 2017 05:50 PM

Hi Sasa,

thank you very much for that offer. We might get back to you on that eventually :)
    Very glad to hear that the nightly solved your problem.

Closing this discussion. Feel free to open a new one at any time should you have questions or run into problems.

7. Luke Le closed this discussion on 20 Dec, 2017 05:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac