‘Decryption failed with unknown error!’

herrjah

03 Jun, 2015 10:10 AM

Which of our tools is giving you problems?

GPGMail / GPGServices...

Paste version info of your installed software: (how to: http://support.gpgtools.org/kb/faq/where-can-i-find-version-info-of...)

Latest nightly build, Version 1.2b6 (7a5d851) (1080n)

Describe your problem. Add as much detail as possible.

I am testing sending some e-mail communication with a friend of mine (Windows, GnuPG v1). I have sent him a signed message with my public key which he has verified. He has now sent me an encrypted response and I am unable to decrypt it. In OS X Mail I get: ‘Decryption failed with unknown error!’ An unknown error occurred while decrypting this message.

GPG error message:
gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped
gpg: CRC error; 4A938C - B8649F
gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=55)

Please contact us, including the GPG error message, at http://support.gpgtools.org

If I try to use services to decrypt the text to a new window, i get; "Decrypt Failed! Decrypt failed! Code = 0
If I copy the text out into my favourite text editor and use services to decrypt, noting happens at all.

What did you expect instead

Expected to be able to provide my private key passphrase in OS X mail to decrypt the e-mail in-situ or provide the passphrase to have the text decrypted in a new window.

Describe steps leading to the problem.

1. Send public key to second party (signed message)
  2. Receive encrypted response
  3. Attempt to decrypt in OS X mail or decrypt mail text in a text editor (OS X Text Edit)

If your problem concerns GPGMail, are other plugins installed in Mail.app?

N/A

Please attach .png or .jpg screenshots of error messages or steps leading to your problem and remove this line once you're done wrinting your report. Then click the Create button to start a new discussion.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 17 Jul, 2015 05:46 PM

Hi herrjah,

could you please download and install our latest nightly build and see if the problem persists. That page also has sig and SHA1 to verify the download.

All the best, steve

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

2. 2 Posted by herrjah on 27 Jul, 2015 05:41 PM

Hi,

I finally got to the bottom of this... It turns out that my friend's Windows-based software is introducing line-breaks between each line of PGP text he has sent me. When I remove these breaks, everything works as expected.
    It's usually something simple, huh...
    Thanks for your input.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 06 Aug, 2015 10:57 AM

Hey herrjah,

could you please download and install our latest nightly build and see if the problem persists. That page also has sig and SHA1 to verify the download.

We are now more tolerant towards such malformed messages and you should no longer have to manually remove the additional line breaks.

All the best, steve

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

4. Steve closed this discussion on 26 Nov, 2015 11:22 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac