How do I use GPGTools to create a PGP email?

Anthony De Rosa

19 Oct, 2014 12:38 PM

GPG Services 1.9.2

I am able to decrypt files just fine using Services. I can't figure out how to create a file that can be pasted into an email. I get something like the image I attached below, it looks like a binary file rather than a text file with PGP.

Please describe what you did expect instead

Something like this:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- Comment: GPGTools - https://gpgtools.org
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If you remember, please describe the steps leading up to the problem.

I right click on the file i want to encrypt, choose Services, and then choose OpenPGP: Encrypt File

1. 1 Posted by Anthony De Rosa on 19 Oct, 2014 12:43 PM

I tried also highlighting text I want to encrypt and right clicking while holding down CTRL but there's not Services option when doing that.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Oct, 2014 01:12 PM

Hi Anthony,

based on what you're describing, you should have a .pgp file after using OpenPGP: Encrypt file, which you can simply drag & drop into your email. It will be sent as an attachment.
    The .pgp files are in fact binary files, since that way they'll be smaller in size. The ASCII version is more or less the binary, ran through base64 encoding.

The second part is interesting and I think the following article could help you to get setup properly:
    http://support.gpgtools.org/kb/gpgservices-faq/how-do-i-activate-th...

3. 3 Posted by Anthony De Rosa on 19 Oct, 2014 01:33 PM

I have a .gpg file which I suppose is the same thing?

I did try what you suggested in the other article but I still don't see the Services options when right click highlighted text.

I think it's important to note I am running OS X Yosemite, v 10.10

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Oct, 2014 01:45 PM

Hmm... it could be related to Yosemite. In the preferences for Keyboard Shortcuts -> Services there are two sets of settings for Files & Folders and for Text. Did you make sure all of them are activated? (It's currently a pain to setup and we'll have a better solution in the future)

Also, what app are you trying to use Services in. Some apps have to be added explicitly.

5. 5 Posted by Anthony De Rosa on 19 Oct, 2014 02:02 PM

Ah, I figured it out. There are a bit more steps to set up in Yosemite. Thank you so much for your help!!

So it might help others, I found the part where you add highlight text to encrypt here... (see attachment)

You have to scroll down further in the list, there are two sets of OpenPGP options, the one for text highlight to encrypt is in the second set, further down.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Steve on 21 Oct, 2014 03:22 PM

Hi Anthony,

we've just improved the KB-article to make it more obvious that the required activation options do reside in two different locations.

Glad, this is solved for you. I'm closing this discussion. If you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

Best, steve

7. Steve closed this discussion on 21 Oct, 2014 03:22 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac