sharing link to public key

Marleynoe

10 Aug, 2014 09:42 PM

GPGMail

GPGMail 2.1

I'm new to GPG and would just like to know how I can add a link to my public key to the signature of my emails (rather than the exported .asc file). I've often read in discussions here "using the key server"... but I don't know how or what this means, exactly.

There's no steps to take or expected behaviour here. I would just like to find out how to do the above.

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 19 Aug, 2014 10:24 AM

Hi Marlon,

if you have a homepage, you can upload your .asc file to the homepage and link to that key. Otherwise you could indeed link to your public key on the key servers:

The problem with that is, that still many people will not know what to do with that information. What's needed is a KB-article explaining what a signature is, how to retrieve a public key and then how to verify it (OS dependent).

If I find some time, I will try to create a KB-article covering just that. Then users could link to that article and their public key and recipients unfamiliar with OpenPGP will have a chance to understand what is going on.

All the best,
    steve

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 19 Aug, 2014 10:40 AM

We've a ticket for this problem:

https://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/65161-homepage/tickets/132

If this discussion get's closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed so you'll receive a notification. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 15 Oct, 2014 04:51 PM

The FSF has created an awesome website which explains the basics: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/index.html

Also the upcoming GPG Keychain will have an option to easily send your public key via mail.

All the best :)
    steve

4. Steve closed this discussion on 15 Oct, 2014 04:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac