Consider renaming app to "GPG Tools"

Brennan Novak

30 Jul, 2014 02:36 PM

This is a quirky user experience suggestion- but as per our "ModernPGP" working group that is trying to improve the usability of said tech, I figured I'd offer some generic UX suggestions :)

The name of your app "GPG Keychain Access" has always confused me. The user experience flow (that I have encountered while educating people at crypto parties) is something like this:

1. Hey, let's be cool crypto kids, go get "GPG Tools" for your Mac
  2. n00b Googles for "GPG Tools"
  3. n00b browses to https://gpgtools.org
  4. n00b sees 3 separate names: GPGTools, GPGMail, and GPG Suite
  5. n00b sees 2 download buttons
  6. n00b clicks download
  7. n00b installs "GPG Suite" via installer

This all "works" per se, but I remember when I first installed your app I was a bit confused by what happened. I had to configure a key. I remember MacMail suddenly having new features. But for a long time, I remember being confused about why the app was called "GPG Keychain Access." I of course learned the concept of a "keychain" and that what the GPG Suite installed was the GNUpg keychain, but as an end user there are lots of terms and labels and feels quite complicated.

Tor when through a similar renaming / condensing of their packaging from the previous two separate apps (TorBrowser and Vidalia). Of course, their use case is different than GPG Tools, but the bundling of Vidalia inside the browser bundle has given then a huge UX boost.

My suggestions are do one of the following:

• Rename "GPG Suite" to "GPG Tools"
  • Rename "GPG Keychain Access" to "GPG Tools"
  • Add a panel or settings tab that gives an overview of the various services things GPG Tools installs (mail, keychain, services, MacGPG)
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 30 Jul, 2014 02:40 PM

Hi Brennan,

thanks for your suggestions.
    We've already had long discussions about that and basically think that the best approach would be to combine the various tools into one app. This app would be called GPG Suite since GPGTools is really the team name.
    At the end the user should only have one app to manage "contacts" (not keys) and encrypt text and files.

2. 2 Posted by Brennan Mailpil... on 30 Jul, 2014 07:31 PM

Hey Luke Le,

Thanks for responding. Glad to hear you all have already chatted about
    this issue and are working on a fix :)

Cheers,
    BN

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 30 Jul, 2014 07:40 PM

Yeah, we've been chatting a lot about potential ideas to improve UI/UX and make a more coherent and even easier product. Unfortunately it will take a long time to bring all our plans to completion due to a massive lack of time.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 21 Oct, 2014 04:28 PM

Brennan, again thanks for your input. What you write is all true. It touches on various issues we are still trying to solve in a user-friendly way.

We've ideas how to address the naming issue and as Luke said, we think combining the apps would solve this issue in a nie way. But that is somewhat further down the road. For now we are working on 10.10 GPGMail compatibility and hope to have the beta ready soon.

GPG Keychain Access will be called GPG Keychain in the upcoming release. It's just a small tweak but should make the naming easier and more consistent.

Closing this discussion (feel free to re-open if you have something to add) – and rest assured: closing this discussion doesn't mean this is off from our radar. Quite the opposite.

Best,
    steve

5. Steve closed this discussion on 21 Oct, 2014 04:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac