Apple Mail doesn't load signed messages

Matthias

14 May, 2014 08:13 AM

Same problem as described by someone else here: http://support.gpgtools.org/discussions/everything/16594-apple-mail...

Source code is viewable, Mail loads almost endlessly and cannot be quit normally. It's only a signed mail, not encrypted, other mails can be opened normally. Key of the sender is not yet imported. I got one Mail to open by waiting a huge amount of time (actually I got pulled into a meeting, forgot about the open Mail app and saw it in the evening again when the message body was shown with the yellow "signed" bar).

I reinstalled GPGTools several times, restarted Mail, restarted Mac; nothing lets Apple Mail load the mail. BTW the Console.app doesn't show any new messages when opening such a mail.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 14 May, 2014 08:25 AM

Hi Matthias, hmmm... this might be related to a problem where accessing a key server to retrieve the key of the sender in question is takes a very long time.

Could you try to manually add the key of the sender and open the mail after that?

2. 2 Posted by Matthias on 14 May, 2014 08:30 AM

Hi, I tried adding the key manually right after adding this ticket; I could open the mail almost immediately. Sending and retrieving keys via the GPGTools is currently not possible, at least here where I am. I suspect that a firewall denies the requests and wanted to add this as a reply when I saw your answer :-).

I'm contacting the sysadmins now but is there also a different way to set a keyserver than hkp:// ?

Matthias

3. 3 Posted by Matthias on 14 May, 2014 09:33 AM

Ok, so it was the firewall :-). Ticket can be closed.

Maybe there could be an lower timeout and some logging that also appears within the Console.app.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 14 May, 2014 09:35 AM

Yep, lower timeout is definitely worth considering.
    Also, we'd like to handle importing keys ourselves instead of having gnupg do it for us.
    Since gnupg won't continue to verify until the key is fetched it blocks the whole email rendering thread.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 04 Jun, 2014 05:19 PM

We've a ticket for this problem:

https://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/73378/tickets/127

If this discussion get's closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed so you'll receive a notification. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

6. Steve closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2014 05:19 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac