Switching from PGP client to GPGtools, some questions

acm.mobile

06 Dec, 2011 01:13 AM

Hi! I've been trying your program for some weeks now, (and I love it), it's been working pretty well on my icloud and gmail accounts, but I've been having some hickups on my exchange account. Before committing to convincing my whole firm to switch from now so-crappy product (and support) pgp to gpgtools, I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to solve reading from the Q&A...
1) The firm uses what pgp calls a Universal Server, which is practically an ldap keyserver, can I configure the gpgtools to it? (is it as simple as setting it up in preferences pane under keyserver? - Can I have more than one keyserver at a time.
2) I've sent encrypted gpg mails to other colleagues that use pgp instead, and when I get their response, what I get is random symbols instead of some words - (is it because it's spanish and some of the grammatical accents?) - they get the same on their end...
3) As well, when they answer back, having attached files, they come back with a pgp extension which so far, I have not been able to decompress to access the file - what am I doing wrong or missing out on?

If you guys could help me please, with these loose ends fixed it would solve my (and half of the tech's at the firm) problems

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Dec, 2011 09:01 AM

Hi!

First off, thanks for your kind words, we really appreciate it and try
    our best to continue improving our tools!

The exchange problem is a known one and unfortunately it's the exchange server which mangles the headers of the emails going through.
    Fortunately though there's an easy work around which is already fixed in the current development version which I'll link below for your testing and will be included in the next release.

GPGMail - 2.0a11 - http://cl.ly/1g0Z2e14142Z3k3q0C3V

1.) Just try to set the url to the ldap keyserver in the preferences pane. It might work, but we can't assure it, because we have no way of testing it.
    If there's a chance of you providing us access to a test installation we could investigate.

2.) It would be great if you could have them encrypt a test message to our gpgtools-org public key (you'll find it on a keyserver) and send that message to us. This way we can look at the random symbols. Also a screenshot would help.

3.) Again, if at all possible send us an example message. .PGP attachments are not supported in the released alpha but will be supported in the next release.

Hope that helps :)

2. 2 Posted by acm.mobile on 06 Dec, 2011 06:33 PM

Luke,

No sure if I sent the previous mail correctly...

The bundle you sent fixed most of my problems, THANKS! (great product, and great support)

1) The Ldap address is ldap://keys.carrillolaw.com, not sure if you need any other info...

2) I re-checked the mails I had received with the weird symbols I explained before, with the new bundle installed and they aren't there anymore! :)

3) The attachments now open, most of them, but they open directly on TXT edit, instead of microsoft word, which is their original format, in some cases, given they are DOCX extension files, instead of DOC extension, the only thing that shows up on text edit is weird symbols. Is there a way to make it open directly on ms word application, or which ever app it's supposed to open in?

Again, your product rocks, as does your ever so fast and friendly support.

I can't wait to see the final release of the next version, switch my whole firm to it, and promote their support to you guys financially as well....

THANKS!

>

3. 3 Posted by acm.mobile on 06 Dec, 2011 07:00 PM

Luke,

thanks!

Actually, with the new mail bundle, I just tried points 2 and 3, and they are no longer a problem in the tests I just made. Really, the work you guys make is amazing, great product, great support.

About the ldap, the server address is ldap://keys.carrillolaw.com, not sure what else you need to test it, let me know please.

I'm looking forward to the gold version of the next release, and making a strong push to my firm's administration to support you guys financially as well.

THANKS!

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Dec, 2011 10:10 PM

Hi Alfonso,

we're really glad everything works so great for you!

I've just entered your ldap address into the GPG Preferences Keyserver field and it seems to be working.

If you could give me the address or ID of a key that exists on the server I can further test, but it didn't give me an error for my key only said it didn't find it, so that's ok.

5. 5 Posted by acm.mobile on 06 Dec, 2011 10:38 PM

Luke,

I think I messed up my previous replies and their order came up inverted...

3) The attachments now open, most of them, but they open directly on TXT edit, instead of microsoft word, which is their original format, in some cases, given they are DOCX extension files, instead of DOC extension, the only thing that shows up on text edit is weird symbols. Is there a way to make it open directly on ms word application, or which ever app it's supposed to open in?

Thanks,

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]
    >

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Dec, 2011 10:44 PM

There was a bug in the version I sent you which I've just recently fixed.
    It removed the extension if you opened it too often I think.
    Here's a version which has that fixed, so maybe that solves your problem.

http://cl.ly/090t0E2N3l2W3a470W1K

Just out of curiosity, what is your company doing?

7. 7 Posted by acm.mobile on 06 Dec, 2011 10:58 PM

Luke,

Thanks, however the files still show up as attachment1 (with no extension), and in any case that the file is not an DOC or TXT extension, what shows up is bunch of symbols that text editor could not open, as it wasn't a file it can't handle.

I'm attaching two screen shots so you can see what I'm talking about.

We are an anti-corruption law firm, amongst other legal areas ;)
    Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Dec, 2011 11:01 PM

Hmm... could you send me an email with a test docx to lukele at gpgtools.org
    You can find my public key on a keyserver.
    It should be rather easy to fix this.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Dec, 2011 11:18 PM

The last encrypted one decrypted without problems and opens in the correct editor for me.
    I think the exchange server might remove attachment extensions as well.
    Could you send me an email which is somehow going through the exchange server so it's modified?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Dec, 2011 11:38 PM

Oh yeah, the sending from windows makes all the difference.
    The freaking plugins available for it don't use the PGP/MIME standard but the non-standardized-pain-in-the-ass (pardon my language) PGP inline.

Do you think you can manage to send me a test from a windows machine?

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Steve on 07 Dec, 2011 12:17 AM

Aw, we all love and cherish windows, don't we? ;) Oh and we also love inline.

But seriously: Is there any sane reason why windows plug-ins don't support PGP/MIME?

12. 12 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 05:24 PM

Guys,

I checked the options that the (ahem) windows version of pgp desktop has to encrypt which are:
    - PGP partitioned
    - PGP/MIME
    - S/MIME
    - Automatic

The firm is slowly transitioning to Mac, so right now only the seniors have mac (and hate their PGP desktop app) and are falling for the GPGtools which I installed in their macs yesterday thanks to Luke's support. However the other members of the firm have windows and pgp desktop, from the previous, is there any of those options something I should choose to play friendly and stop getting that inline, no attachment extension mails?

thanks!

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 05:26 PM

The PGP/MIME option is exactly what you are looking for!
    If you could send me the email though I requested, it'd be interesting to see what exchange does to the mails.

14. 14 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 05:30 PM

Luke,

I sent it yesterday from a mail sender address named Sara, could you check if it went to junk?

I actually attempted to encrypt it via that way, however it comes out the same way. I'll be sending another one with that PGP/MIME option from the exchange server I sent the previous.

Thanks!

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 05:33 PM

Sorry for the bother, but I just checked my spam folder and inbox and I didn't get the message.
    Could you have her resent it?

16. 16 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 05:43 PM

Luke,

I just resent it using an address called hector, to your @gpgtools.com address, could you please confirm having received it please.

thanks

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 05:45 PM

It's @gpgtools.org, could that be the problem?
    So lukele at gpgtools.org

18. 18 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 05:46 PM

My bad, that's why, resending right now...

sorry

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

19. 19 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 06:21 PM

Luke,

could you please confirm if you got the mail from the Hector. [email blocked]?

As well, I was just asked, if I am send a mail to multiple users, some of them have gpg or pgp, others don't, is there a workaround to send it to all in one mail, with the ones with the key being encrypted and the others plain?

thanks

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 06:29 PM

For some reason I still haven't received the email.
    What address did you send it to this time?
    Could you try the lukas at dressyvagabonds.com one.

Unfortunately that's not possible. If the email is to be sent encrypted you must have public keys for all addresses.
    It would kinda defeat the purpose of sending an encrypted email.
    You can still sign though, since that only involves your address.

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 06:47 PM

Thanks! Now I've received two, so it seems it just took some time

22. Support Staff 22 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 06:51 PM

For some reason if you use PGP Partitioned Format (PGP inline), your exchange server modifies the name of the attachment with no chance to see the original filename.
    The problem should be solved if all of your people use the PGP/MIME option from PGP Desktop.

23. 23 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 06:53 PM

Luke,

those messages were sent having selected the PGP/MIME option from PGP Desktop :S

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

24. Support Staff 24 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 06:56 PM

Oh my, are you certain? Because the message I've received clearly used PGP partitionend format.
    Could you send me another one. Maybe restart PGP Desktop or reboot the system.

25. 25 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 06:59 PM

Ok, what I'll do is try to send the mail from my home desktop which still uses windows and pgp desktop and try it from there. The one at the office manages the policies via a universal server that runs on the online server, that might prevent things from happening.

thanks!

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

26. Support Staff 26 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 07:00 PM

Ah ok, so the setting might not stick because the official policy is different?

27. 27 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 07:03 PM

the universal server is something that only works for the people inside the network at the office, instead of individual licenses and programs, it directs through that server, which sets the policies, keys, etc. I attempted to set that policy on the universal server, not sure why it didn't work, and IT went out for lunch.

So I'll try using an individual program, and let you know how it goes.

thanks!

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

28. Support Staff 28 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Dec, 2011 07:15 PM

Great! We're gonna get this all sorted out :)!

29. 29 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 10:14 PM

A couple of hours later (after having pulled some of my hair out)...

The pgp desktop keeps blocking outgoing mail with that encryption using a standalone client instead of the universal server... aRGH!!!! pgp desktop sucks sooo much. I need to convince the administration to switch the whole office to mac, hahahaha....

Thanks guys for your support!

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

30. 30 Posted by acm.mobile on 07 Dec, 2011 11:01 PM

Luke,
    Hopefully a last question...

When sending outgoing mail, and the gpgkeychain is searching for the key on the selected server on the pref. pane of keychain, if I didn't select say the pgpkeyserver and instead our private one, some keys aren't found until I do the swith, and then, the other keys aren't found (the private server ones). Is there a way to make the keychain to search in multiple servers at the same time when sending encrypted mail at the same time?

thanks

Alfonso Carrillo Montiel
    [email blocked]

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac