New user experiencing issues with any operation requiring password

Steven M.Sawczyn

21 May, 2012 04:52 AM

Hi, I just discovered GPGTools and am really glad I did as I sort of assumed S/MIME was the only encryption option still available for Mac. Anyway, I imported my old PGP key rings and all seemed to go well. When I attempt to perform any action that requires a password, however, (signing a file/Email) I am not being prompted for my pass phrase. One possible caveat is that I am blind and as such am using VoiceOver. Although it's possible VoiceOver simply isn't detecting the pass phrase dialog, this seems unlikely as it doesn't seem to detect any new activity at all; all other dialogs seem to read just fine. Is there anything I should look at or possibly change in preferences? Although my ancient PGP key seemed to import fine (it shows up in keychain manager) is it possible that the key is simply too old? Specifically, my key was created November 9, 1998 and is a 2048-bit RSA key.

I'd definitely appreciate any help with this as I'd really like to start using GPGTools.

Thanks,

Steve

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 22 May, 2012 11:02 AM

Hey Steven,

the problem is, that the pinentry window is not correctly recognized by Apples VoiceOver. We've had exactly this feature request from another blind user.

I find this very exciting and hope we can improve the functionality so that the window will be recognized correctly. I can't promise any ETA though since we are very busy getting the final of GPGMail 2.0 out the door.

I can reproduce the problem. And here's a link to the ticket I created for this: http://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/66001-macgpg2/tickets/94...

All the best,
    steve

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 04 Jun, 2012 05:36 PM

Hey Steven,

since we now have the ticket, I'm closing this discussion. Feel free to sign up on lighthouse where you can subscribe to the according ticket and be notified of changes being made in regards to this issue.

Also, if you have more issues, please drop us a line. You can always create a new discussion.

Cheerios,
    steve

3. Steve closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2012 05:36 PM.

4. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 17 Jun, 2013 12:30 PM

Hey Steven,

I'm very happy that I can confirm this issue is fixed. Since we had several blind users reporting this, it's great we were able to get this fixed.

Could you please visit our nightly builds and download the latest GPGTools-XXXn.dmg file.

Run that on your system and see if the problem persists.

All the best, steve

5. Steve closed this discussion on 17 Jun, 2013 12:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac