Double klick on key sent over email does not work in Mac Mail

Robin

09 Jun, 2015 12:21 PM

GPGMail 2.5b6 (917b)

Double click on a key sent to me and I get error "Verification FAILED No signatures found"

What did you expect instead

Key added to GPG

1. 1 Posted by Robin on 09 Jun, 2015 12:26 PM

Some spelling faults in this one... but cannot find a edit button. If there isnt one, maybe you should ad one for us fast typing wrong spelling users ;)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 11 Jun, 2015 07:43 PM

Hi Robin,

no worries. This can happen and is expected. To import the key into GPG Keychain just open GPG Keychain, click the "Import" icon and select the key you want to import. You can also just drag and drop the key into the main window of GPG Keychain.

Let me know if that worked out for you.

All the best,
    steve

3. 3 Posted by Robin on 11 Jun, 2015 07:47 PM

But this used to work before… at least thats how I remember it. I used to be able to just double click it. Has this been removed?

//Robin
    --------------

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 11 Jun, 2015 08:33 PM

You did not mention which file format the public key has. If it is a .gpg file, that can be a) encrypted data or b) a key file. So you might select that file in finder, press cmd + I for information. In the "open with.." section you can then change the file association to GPG Keychain. But then again, if you are double clicking encrypted files, GPG Keychain will launch.

Hope this explains the problem.

5. 5 Posted by Robin on 11 Jun, 2015 08:40 PM

This is a file generated by the send with email right click.
    Before a file like that was just something you could double click and the key was installed to GPG.

But I might remember wrong… not sure how I could do that since I have installed many keys this way, but who knows :)

//Robin

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Steve on 11 Jun, 2015 08:43 PM

Robin, I explained how to restore the behavior you are used to in Comment 4.

7. 7 Posted by Robin on 11 Jun, 2015 08:58 PM

Hi again.

Yes I understad what you mean by that comment 4. But as I remember I have been able to do both without doing the open with in finder thing. That was why I asked if this has changed in this version.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Steve on 11 Jun, 2015 09:04 PM

No, in that regard, nothing has been changed. And once it's changed as described in comment 4 it should work again. Since encrypted files can also be gpg files and key can be .asc files maybe that is, why both worked for you.

9. 9 Posted by Robin on 11 Jun, 2015 10:40 PM

Aha... I see.... I will give that a try then.

Thanks for patiently explaining this :)

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Steve on 11 Jun, 2015 10:41 PM

No problem. These things have the tendency to be confusing. We do what we can to keep it simple, but when it comes to file extensions it is a little bit out of our hands and you get those confusing edge cases where the same extension can be both a key file or encrypted data which is somewhat stupid, but it is how it currently is.

11. Steve closed this discussion on 14 Aug, 2015 01:56 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac