2.1 migration for smartcard users
GPG Suite 2017.1 nightly migrates users to gpg 2.1. That migration has implications for smartcard users. In order to get you quickly back to working state, please go through this KB in it's entirety.
In case you are still on 2.0 please verify prior to updating that every key on your smartcard is working as expected. Please test signing, decrypting and signing another key with each of your secret keys on your smartcard.
In case you have old versions of gpg running on your system, please remove them. That includes gpg 1.4.x, 2.0.x, gpgosx, gpg installed via homebrew or older 2.1 installations.
To remove old installations:
brew uninstall gpg brew uninstall gpg1 brew uninstall gpg2 sudo rm -rf /usr/local/gnupg-2.1 sudo rm /opt/local/bin/gpg /opt/local/bin/gpg2 /opt/local/bin/gpg-agent sudo rm /usr/local/bin/gpg /usr/local/bin/gpg2 /usr/local/bin/gpg-agent
- create a backup of your .gnupg folder
- after verifying the backup folder has been created, open a new finder window
- press ⇧⌘G and paste
~/.gnupgto open your .gnupg folder
- remove the following files and folders (if they exist)
- ~/.gnupg/.gpg-v21-migrated – this file is invisible, paste the following command into Terminal.app and execute with enter to remove it:
Then install GPG Suite with 2.1.
During the update key-stubs are lost. To re-create them after the 2.1 update
- open Terminal.app and connect your smartcard to your mac
gpg --card-statusinto terminal and execute with enter
- repeat process for additional smartcards