Load Remote Content disappears?

barry

16 Oct, 2018 02:14 AM

GPGMail 2018.4

I recently installed 2018.4 which is the only change to my High Sierra Mail.app installation made recently. I've noticed something weird: I have turned off "Load remote content in messages", and if I get a message with remote content, I usually see a blue background above the message headers that says "This message contains remote content". To the right of that there's a button that says "Load Remote Content".

After a while, both the message on the left and the button on the right disappear. I haven't correlated this with any action or particular message content, but I'm still watching it. For now, I'd like to know if anybody else is seeing this weirdness. Note that the only way I've found to bring the button back is to restart Mail.app.

I haven't yet tried disabling GPGMail to see if that alleviates the problem. Right now, I'm trying to see if I can reproduce it reliable.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 16 Oct, 2018 10:49 AM

Hi Barry,

thanks for taking the time to report this problem. We are aware and have already reproduced the issue.

We have a ticket for this problem. I connected this discussion with the existing ticket. That means, should this discussion get closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed. That way you'll stay in the loop and get notified as soon as we have news. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

The workaround for now is to restart Mail.app. We will look into this and report back as soon as we have news.

Best,
    Steve

2. 2 Posted by barry on 16 Oct, 2018 05:10 PM

Thanks! Do you have a link to the existing ticket or is that internal? I don't see a link here.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 16 Oct, 2018 08:08 PM

No the GPG Mail tracker is not public.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Oct, 2018 12:47 AM

Hi Barry,

I'm wondering, are you seeing this only for encrypted messages or plain messages as well? For encrypted messages the banner should never be shown and remote content be blocked, regardless of the settings, since loading remote content might leak encrypted content.

5. 5 Posted by barry on 19 Oct, 2018 01:01 AM

Hi Luke. I'm only aware of it on non-encrypted emails. I actually don't get too many encrypted emails (with or without remote content). Most of my use of GPGTools is for signing. Feel free to send me some test messages though to my email on file.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Oct, 2018 01:53 AM

Ha, that is quite curious since GPG Mail shouldn't touch non-encrypted messages when it comes to remote content loading.

Would you mind downloading and installing our latest hotfix GPG Suite and see if that improves the situation?

GPG Suite 2349n and later should address this problem.

Disclaimer: This is a development version which has not been thoroughly tested yet - bugs or crashes are to be expected. Thanks for helping us test.

7. 7 Posted by barry on 19 Oct, 2018 02:49 AM

Yep, I'll install it and run with it for a day before I give feedback.

8. 8 Posted by barry on 19 Oct, 2018 05:56 PM

I'm still seeing the button disappear. For example, I got a legit email from Hulu.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Steve on 19 Oct, 2018 06:43 PM

Could you temporarily disable GPG Mail:

• shut down Mail.app
    • open finder
    • navigate to /Library/Mail/Bundles or ~/Library/Mail/Bundles and copy GPGMail.mailbundle to your desktop
    • now delete GPGMail.mailbundle from the original folder

Restart Mail and check the Preferences - GPG Mail should be gone.

To re-enable mail, close Mail.app and move the bundle file back to the Bundles folder.

Are you then seeing the button?

10. 10 Posted by barry on 22 Oct, 2018 07:39 PM

Okay, I've disabled GPGMail for now and will let you know if the button disappearance problem returns.

11. 11 Posted by barry on 23 Oct, 2018 07:28 PM

I can confirm that so far, the Load Remote Content button has not disappeared since disabling GPGMail.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Luke Le on 23 Oct, 2018 07:35 PM

Hi Barry,

thanks for keeping us updated on this issue. We have so far not been able to reproduce the issue. Could you share some details what emails were before and after the hulu email? signed ones, plain ones, encrypted ones?

Thanks!

13. 13 Posted by barry on 23 Oct, 2018 07:39 PM

Hi Luke. It's been difficult to nail down the exact scenario for when the button disappears. I will say that it's very rare that I get encrypted emails, but I do very often get signed emails. I sign most of my open source emails, but rarely encrypt.

I think it could have something to do with getting a message with remote content, clicking on the button, then later viewing a signed message. After that, messages with remote content seem to lose their button. But again, I'm not 100% sure that's a reproducible situation.

I'm going to re-enable GPGMail beta and see watch carefully.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Luke Le on 23 Oct, 2018 07:42 PM

GPG Mail at the moment only interferes (at least in theory) if the message is encrypted. Which somehow doesn't seem to be the true though in your case.

15. 15 Posted by barry on 23 Oct, 2018 07:44 PM

Interesting! It's very strange indeed. I just installed 2018.5

16. 16 Posted by barry on 24 Oct, 2018 05:20 PM

I've been running with 2018.5 for a day now and haven't seen the button disappearance problem. I'll tentatively and optimistically say this issue is resolved. Feel free to close it and if it comes back, I'll reopen it.

17. Support Staff 17 Posted by Luke Le on 24 Oct, 2018 05:21 PM

Oh that is interesting and good to hear. Please let us know if it reappears. And thank you again for testing.

18. Luke Le closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2018 05:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac