encrypted & signed messages not showing as signed in version 2018.3 of GPGMail

gpg_dude

02 Jul, 2018 08:57 PM

Which of our tools is giving you problems?

GPGMail

Attach a screenshot of the version info for all installed components (how to: https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/kb/faq/where-can-i-find-version-info...):

See attached

Describe your problem. Add as much detail as possible.

I think this changed with 2018.3, but haven't rolled back to 2018.2 to confirm the exact time it started. I have some messages that are signed & encrypted. Using the GPG CLI tool it sees & verifies the signature and then decrypts the message. However, using GPGMail & the macOS - only the encrypted lock icon & word "Encrypted" shows up in "Security: " under the main message heads (From/Subject/To). The message is still displayed and also starts with "Encrypted & Signed PGP part" ... though all the text in the message body seems to be contained within the that box implying all of the content was Encrypted & Signed.

What did you expect instead

I expect to see the the "Signed" check icon along with info about which key signed the message. I also should be able to click the check icon to get more details in a popup.

Describe steps leading to the problem.

Not sure what to say here. I noticed this with a message received from schleuder - an encrypted mailing list solution. Upon checking older messages from the same system that I'm almost positive did show the correct behavior (signed & verified in GPGMail) previously, I realized they were now also showing the new/wrong behavior.

Are you using any other Mail.app plugins?

No

Other information

Below is what I see in the encrypted payload - aside from all the standard headers - and with the message content scrubbed

Content-Type: multipart/encrypted;
boundary="--==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b"; protocol="application/pgp-encrypted" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Errors-To: [email blocked]

This is an OpenPGP/MIME encrypted message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
----==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b Content-Type: application/pgp-encrypted
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Description: PGP/MIME Versions Identification

Version: 1
----==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name=encrypted.asc Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline;
filename=encrypted.asc Content-Description: OpenPGP encrypted message
Content-ID: <[email blocked]>

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- PGP MESSAGE DATA -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

----==_mimepart_5b2f3f28ca915_3ea62b244cc070d81368b--

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 03 Jul, 2018 05:03 PM

I think we have a ticket for this problem. I connected this discussion with the existing ticket. That means, should this discussion get closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed. That way you'll stay in the loop and get notified as soon as we have news. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

Has this message been created using K9 mail by any chance?

Best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by gpg_dude on 03 Jul, 2018 09:33 PM

The messages were not created using K9 mail, but rather https://schleuder.org/

I also see messages showing the same behavior sent from users via Thunderbird

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Jul, 2018 03:02 PM

Hi gpg_dude,

thanks for the update. We are currently working on a fix and it should be available soon.

4. 4 Posted by gpg_dude on 03 Aug, 2018 06:52 PM

Hey Luke,
    Just checking in about the fix for this and confirming it will also address messages sent from Thunderbird with GPG4win

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 04 Aug, 2018 11:15 AM

This will take some more time. It's holiday season and Luke was away for a few days. We'll let you know as soon as the fix can be tested in a nightly build.

6. 6 Posted by spwiniarz on 10 Sep, 2018 03:09 PM

I am interested in an update on this as well. Do you feel confident this would be addressed in a new nightly and what is the expected timeframe? Thank you

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Steve on 23 Sep, 2018 04:59 PM

Hi all,

the issue has been fixed. The fix for the problem is included in the GPG Suite 2018.4 release.

I'm closing this discussion. Should you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

Best,
    steve

8. Steve closed this discussion on 23 Sep, 2018 04:59 PM.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2018-07-02_at_1.46.02_PM.png 86 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac