GPGMail: Issue with GPG vs. s/mime defaults

B A

28 Jun, 2018 05:40 PM

This is actually a problem fix report. I've resolved the problem I'm about to describe and wanted to pass back what I think is the specific fix.

I had the problem where all new messages were defaulting to GPGMail instead of my preference S/MIME despite having written DefaultSecurityMethod = 2 and restarted. One of the forum recommendations I saw was to delete ~/Library/Preferences/org.gpgtools.gpgmail.plist, but I dislike options that seem like overkill. After fooling around a bit, looking at "defaults read org.gpgtools.gpgmail" and noticing "MailPreferencesLastSelectedToolbarItem = GPGMail", I tried this:

• Exit mail
  • defaults delete org.gpgtools.gpgmail MailPreferencesLastSelectedToolbarItem
  • Start mail

And now new messages default to S/MIME the way I wanted, but I can still select PGP when needed.

Expected
Expected "defaults write org.gpgtools.gpgmail DefaultSecurityMethod -int 2" to be sufficient to change the default.

macOS                   10.12.6     16G1314
GPG Suite               2018.3      2223    (8d0c266)
GPGMail                 2.7.3       1268    (b7a4d043)
GPG Keychain            1.4.4       1460    (9010342)
GPGServices             1.11.4      1013    (0b04f6c)
MacGPG                  2.2.8       916     (0ed4a99)
GPG Suite Preferences   2.1.2       997     (1a09bc7)
Libmacgpg               0.8.5       863     (0707962)
pinentry                0.9.7.1     9       (db18340)
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 07 Jul, 2018 01:59 PM

Hi B A,

this sound peculiar. The only reason I could think of why that would have changed anything is, that macOS had an older cached version of the defaults which didn't have the proper DefaultSecurityMethod set. And that by deleting a different key from the defaults macOS evicted the cached version and loaded the new one.

What is definitely necessary is restarting Mail.app after changing the defaults.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac