GPG Keychain: DON'T add to keychain

Andy Borne

12 Apr, 2018 03:29 PM

When the "enter passphrase" dialog pops, "add to keychain" is selected every time. This is a serious mistake. It requires manual intervention with the mouse every time my key is used to avoid a problem that is difficult to reverse, instead of the one-time intervention it would take if I wanted to store my password. It's a classic case of designing an interface to force a decision against the user's interests without technically forcing it, and coming from a security application, that's a very bad smell.

Expected
That box absolutely should not be checked by default, but at the very least, unchecking it once should leave it unchecked forever. Typing my passphrase is not inconvenient. Using the mouse is, and that inconvenience is entirely on you, not the underlying technology.

macOS                   10.13.4     17E199
GPG Suite               2018.1      2083    (9658b70)
GPGMail                 3.0b4       1272    (461cda15)
GPG Keychain            1.4.2       1403    (128637e)
GPGServices             1.11.2      969     (e5438f7)
MacGPG                  2.2.3       900     (cead4f9)
GPG Suite Preferences   2.1.1       993     (05eb1a6)
Libmacgpg               0.8.2       829     (943132e)
pinentry                0.9.7.1     9       (db18340)
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 12 Apr, 2018 05:09 PM

Hi Andy,

we are very sorry you are experiencing problems with GPG Suite.
    You can change that preference in System Preferences -> GPG Suite.
    We found that the default makes it easier for users not yet familiar with GnuPG.

Hope that helps.

2. 2 Posted by Andy Borne on 20 Apr, 2018 08:09 PM

Thank you, that solved the issue. I wasn't aware that there was an associated system preference pane and couldn't find what I wanted in the keychain app's menus or settings. The preference pane also has a button to remove all stored passphrases, which easily solves the problem even retroactively.

Apologies for my berating tone in the original message. It mostly reflected pent up frustration with the untrustworthy tech infrastructure that led me to delve into GPG to begin with. Now that it's configured to my liking, this app suite is amazing.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 23 Apr, 2018 09:40 AM

No worries. Glad, this is solved for you now. I'm closing this discussion. Should you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

Best,
    steve

4. Steve closed this discussion on 23 Apr, 2018 09:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac