GPG Keychain: questions about key handling and sharing the public key

Matthew

26 Aug, 2017 03:08 PM

I downloaded the latest software and generate a key but it indicates the one key there is a sec/pub key. Does this mean it is a public and secret key? I exported the key to an ASC file on my desktop but did not include the secret key; is this what I mail ? I didn't want to accidentally mail the secret key and public key by using the export function in the software that says mail key.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 26 Aug, 2017 03:24 PM

Hi Matthew,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

The "Mail public key" feature would only be sending the public key. Sending the secret key without asking the user would be a major security glitch and a really bad design decision for a key manager.

So using the menu option saves you the trouble of first having to export your key.

If you export your key there is an option at the bottom to include the secret key which defaults to off.

Let me know if this answers your question.

All the best,
    steve

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 26 Aug, 2017 03:25 PM

This KB-article explains where to find your public key and how to share it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac