Enigmail error message "GnuPG cannot query your passphrase via pinentry"

pirho

09 Aug, 2017 05:10 PM

Since upgrading to GPGSuite 2017.1b3, when ever I attempt to send a signed message I get the following error.

GnuPG cannot query your passphrase via pinentry.

This is a system setup or configuration error that prevents Enigmail from working properly and cannot be fixed automatically.

We strongly recommend that you consult our support web site at https://enigmail.net/faq.

I'm using Thunderbird 52.2.1 (64-bit) on OSX 10.11.6 (15G1611) with Enigmail version 1.9.8.1 (20170708-0816)

If I only attach my public key it sends fine. I've cleared my pass phrase, but issue still exists.
I've attempted to recreate the issue using Mail, but there is not much in the way of GPGMail preferences and is set to sign new messages by default. Currently running 2.63b1 build 1181b of GPGMail.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 09 Aug, 2017 05:27 PM

Hi pirho,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

You write "I've attempted to recreate the issue using Mail, but there is not much in the way of GPGMail preferences and is set to sign new messages by default." Does that mean sending signed mails with Mail.app + GPGMail works as expected or are you seeing the same error when gpg is trying to access pinentry?

All the best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by pirho on 09 Aug, 2017 05:47 PM

I see no error messages, the email sends as expected, however I don't
    know if it is an issue with Enigmail or GPG in general. ASAIK Mail app
    uses a different plug in than thunderbird. Mozilla uses Enigmail where
    Mail uses GPGMail.

3. 3 Posted by pirho on 10 Aug, 2017 03:18 PM

When all else fails, reboot! Seemed to fix a few problems I was having.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 11 Aug, 2017 10:44 AM

Great. Yeah Thunderbird uses the Enigmail plugin. For any questions regarding Enigmail, please see their website about obtaining support. There are various resources like FAQ, mailing list as well as user forum.

Mail.app uses the GPGMail plugin which we develop.

Perfect. Glad, this is solved for you. I'm closing this discussion. Should you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

Best, steve

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac