is Mail.app trustworthy

Morris Winkler

17 May, 2017 12:06 PM

Hello,
turns out I had been at a crypto party last night and it someone stated that the NSA has pushed US companies into submitting backdoors for their products.
I think it is hard to prove that this has really happened, but there is a possibility and I am really not familiar enough with the Snowden leaks to give an educated guess on that. Let's say it is certainly within the realm of the possible.

So now my question, how does GPGSuite integrate with mail and is it possible that the mail app might have a hidden function that makes it possible to copy messaged before and after encryption, how would one check for that and prevent it happening if possible.

1. Steve closed this discussion on 18 Aug, 2017 01:51 PM.

2. Steve re-opened this discussion on 18 Aug, 2017 01:51 PM

3. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 23 Aug, 2017 11:08 AM

Hi Morris,

backdoors are always possible. But it would be a very bad idea for apple to knowingly built that into Mail.app.

Having good security is actually a selling point for Apple hardware. So they would compromise their own PR strategy.

Be aware that using additional plugins can be a security risk. So please only use plugins from sources you fully trust.

Auditing Mail.app is still a problem due to it's closed source nature.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
    steve

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac