Storing keys at a safe location

Juan Balaguer

05 Dec, 2012 05:16 PM

I'd like to (re)open this questions (http://support.gpgtools.org/discussions/everything/304-secret-key-s...):

How can I hide my keys at a safe, potentially encrypted place? Assuming that someone would get access to my user account, he could see the list of public keys in my keychain, which might show plenty of very personal information since it shows all my contacts I might share some very confidential information with.

Where does GPGTOOLS store my keys? Can I move them to a secure location and -if so- how?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 05 Dec, 2012 05:31 PM

Hi Juan,

our answers given in the discussion you refer to are still valid.
    However even if you have your keys on a thumb drive and only plug it in when actually using GPG for encryption or signing, there's a chance that you've used the keys for securing your emails which would still show recipients, so in order to protect that information as well, you'd have to put all your emails on an external harddrive as well.

GPGTools stores your keys in ~/.gnupg (it's actually the underlying GPG engine that takes care of storing them)

2. 2 Posted by Juan on 05 Dec, 2012 06:19 PM

"...in order to protect that information as well, you'd have to put all your emails on an external harddrive as well"

that's exactly what I was trying to do: I was testing Portable Thunderbird on a stick, added Enigmail and found that Enigmail used all keys I previously used with GPG Mail.

Can I change the location of my keys?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 05 Dec, 2012 06:40 PM

The simplest way to change the location is to copy the ~/.gnupg folder over to a thumb drive. Delete the folder on your local harddrive and creating a link to it from your thumb drive to your local harddrive.

4. Steve closed this discussion on 20 Jan, 2013 07:53 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac