Any way to delete the "comment" field in my public key once it's been generated?

Jeff Wright

23 Nov, 2012 05:09 PM

When I first generated my PGP key (using Thunderbird's Enigma tool several months ago), it asked me to create a "comment" in my key. I put in some meaningless phrase that, at the time, I thought had something to do with key recovery...but now I see that comment every time I access my key in the GPG Keychain Access tool, and it shows up whenever I get prompted to enter my passphrase when composing encrypted or signed mail. Is there a way to remove it from my key without having to re-generate an entire new key?

If the answer is no, I'm going to consider revoking my key and issuing a new one, since I"ve only got a couple of poeple in my key ring anyway. Is that typically a big deal to revoke and reissue?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mento on 23 Nov, 2012 05:39 PM

The only way is to add a new UserID without the comment and the same name and e-mail as in the old UserID.
    After this you can revoke the old UserID.

2. 2 Posted by Jeff Wright on 23 Nov, 2012 05:54 PM

THanks for your quick response. Everything is just the way I want it now. :-)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 25 Nov, 2012 08:13 PM

Perfect!

Closing this discussion. Feel free to re-open this discussion anytime should you have questions or run into problems.

4. Steve closed this discussion on 02 Dec, 2012 10:37 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac