Preview of GPGMail for Mountain Lion (web)

ryder.dain

19 Nov, 2012 12:46 PM

This comment was split from the discussion: Preview of GPGMail for Mountain Lion (web)

I'd also like to know how to donate and receive a preview - is there a minimum donation required, and is returning the download link for the preview automated?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Nov, 2012 12:47 PM

Hi Ryder,

there's no minimum for the donation and you can find all payment info here:
    https://gpgtools.org/donate.html

The download link will be sent out manually within 24 hours. Most often it takes 10 minutes, dependent on time of day.

2. 2 Posted by ryder.dain on 19 Nov, 2012 01:08 PM

Thanks - done & done. Hoping to see that preview soon.

For what it's worth, god almighty do I hate using PayPal.

As a last note -- is no one using the gpgtools-devel mailing list anymore? I've seen nothing new since September.

-- R

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Nov, 2012 01:18 PM

Thank you very much for your support! We really appreciate it!
    The instructions on how to obtain GPGMail for Mountain Lion should already be in your inbox.

It's become really silent lately and we're currently in a kind of restructuring phase to better cope with the limited time on our hands.

4. 4 Posted by Scott on 24 Nov, 2012 06:19 PM

This comment was split into a new discussion: GPGMail for Mountain Lion donation only decision

The decision for the donation only version of GPGMail for Mountain Lion was not made light-heartedly - believe me - but the time we could devote to GPGTools was so limited, that we either had to find a way to get something back or otherwise consider discontinuing it all together.

get something back

Do you see what you said there?

It's hard to see the good will that drains away from deciding to quietly and clumsily put a pay wall in the middle of an open source project for your benefit. But drain it has, and drain it will.

You've chosen poorly. I hope you consider further.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Luke Le on 24 Nov, 2012 08:29 PM

Agreed it maybe have been clumsy and would we not have had to choose between abandoning the project due to even less time we could devote to it and a quick way to make free time for the mountain lion build we might have taken a different path.

We love the idea of open source and will continue to release our code and no one would have benefited from even more delay. So we chose the donation model and that way managed to get a preview build out. There's still a lot of work ahead and we effortlessly continue to put the time in, but we couldn't have done this without the donation model, so I think in the end it was the right thing to do.

The source code has also been up for quite some time now and everyone is welcome to build it and use it or best case of all even contribute some patches.

And no, the benefit was not for us but for the project and for the users.

And please don't hijack other people's threads, simply create a new one.
    Otherwise Ryder will be receiving a bunch of emails he might or might not care about.

6. Steve closed this discussion on 02 Dec, 2012 10:05 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac