Problem Encrypting & Decrypting on MacBook Pro Late 2006 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Jungner

18 Nov, 2012 02:22 AM

I have a MacBook Pro Late 2006 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, with the latest GPG versions, downloaded and installed today.

After updating to the latest nightly versions, I cannot decrypt previously encrypted files. Also encrypting new files doesn't work.
I rebooted in Single User mode and ran the "Applejack" system tool, checking the disk, repairing privileges, cache files, doing daily, weekly, monthly routines etc.
Still, no decrypting, no encrypting:
Symptoms are: I double-click an encrypted file "xxx.gpg" - expecting the usual window for entering the passphrase to open. Instead, after a short flashing - which somehow deselects the actually selected frontmost window, as if some system process or app is trying to push itself to the foreground - nothing happens.

Console.app log-message says:

18.11.12 02:17:54 GPGServices[322] -[InProgressWindowController loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file 'InProgressWindow'.

In this forum here I somewhere read the recommendation to not keep the two preference panes "GPGPreferences" and "GPGTools" both on the computer.
Which one should I delete when I'm on 10.6.8? Is the latest version of GPG maybe not compatible with 10.6.8?

In the Activity Monitor.app, the only visible active GPG process is "GPGServices"

I'd appreciate any help.

Best regards

Jungner

1. 1 Posted by Dolfeurosiuse on 18 Nov, 2012 04:36 AM

hello

2. 2 Posted by Jungner on 19 Nov, 2012 12:30 AM

Hi,
    somehow I couldn't log in again into this my thread - says there's no account with my email address ...?!

Anyway, GPG problem is fixed - I downloaded the nightly installer, did a complete (re-)install, fixed privileges, tried to encrypt / decrypt - not working!
    BUT: when I generated a new key and published it to the gpg-server, the process obviously flushed through. Tried encrypting - tada! Everything working again!

Thanks anyway ;)
    Best Regards
    Jungner

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Nov, 2012 07:41 AM

Hi Jungner,

sorry we didn't answer earlier, but it's great to see you've managed to find a solution to your problem!

GPGPreferences should stay, the GPGTools preference pane should go, but usually the installer should take care of that.

Closing this discussion. Feel free to open a new one anytime should you have questions or run into problems.

4. Luke Le closed this discussion on 19 Nov, 2012 07:41 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac