Trying to get public block

Thomas Swainson

17 Nov, 2012 07:39 PM

Hi i have got as far as exporting my public key to the desktop but when i click it, it just goes back into GPG but it doesnt give me the block containing loads of letters. I have already read.....

Ah ok, it looks like I misunderstood your question at first.

There are two possible ways to share the public keys and you've described both, so we're halfway there.

If you publish it on a keyserver the other user will be able to fetch it from a keyserver. The keys are synchronized among a few GPG keyservers so it will be available on all of those after some time. But this may take a while. If you check GPG Keychain Access's preferences you'll see what keyserver you're using and could tell that to the other person so they can immediately fetch the key from that server.

The second method is to use the exported file. The exported file is a simple text file containing the public key in the form you've posted. I believe Flash uses the same .asc extension for their Flash Action Script files, that might 'cause the confusion for OS X.
If you send that file to another person though, they'll be able to import it with some tool of their choice, or you can simply copy the text out of that file and send it to the other person.

The sharing process of GPG keys is one of the most cumbersome thing at the moment and it will be the next topic we'll focus on to make it as easy as possible.

I hope this makes it a little bit clearer.

But i dont have a clue how to cut the text out of it.

Thanks for your help

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 19 Nov, 2012 08:22 AM

Hi Thomas,

right-click on the exported file, choose Open With -> TextEdit
    Is there any specific reason why you want to copy the public key as text?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 02 Dec, 2012 09:45 AM

No further user feedback. Closing.

@Thomas: Should your problem persist, feel free to re-open this discussion any time.

All the best,
    steve

3. Steve closed this discussion on 02 Dec, 2012 09:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac