OS X Keychain Passphrase Storage Seems Broken

dmz

18 Mar, 2015 10:28 PM

I used to have no trouble with my passphrase being stored on the OS X Keychain, but now it seems broken; I have my GPGPreferences set to store the password on the keychain by default, yet I continually get asked for my passphrase and there is no checkbox in the pinentry window offering me an option to store it on the keychain. There are no GnuPG entries of any kind in my OS X Keychain, as far as I can tell.

This is on the current public beta of 10.10.3 (which I guess may mean that you can't help me until 10.10.3 actually comes out), with b5 of GPGTools.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1. 1 Posted by dmz on 19 Mar, 2015 05:52 PM

An uninstall, followed by an install of b6, fixed this problem for me. Still wish I knew what caused it, though.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 29 Mar, 2015 10:24 PM

Hey Daniel,

thanks for your report. This sounds really strange. I have not yet heard of such an error where pinentry is missing the option to store the passphrase in the OS X keychain. Have you ever self compiled any of the tools or could a very old pinentry version still reside on your harddrive?

Thanks for the update. Did any other glitch show up after the re-install? The b5 you used, did you install that via GPG Suite beta from our homepage or did you use automatic sparkle updates?

Kindly,
    steve

3. 3 Posted by dmz on 30 Mar, 2015 09:14 PM

I did not notice any other glitches. I installed b5 using the GPG Suite beta installer. However, I also have homebrew installed, and it's possible that some homebrew package depended on GnuPG and installed the homebrew GnuPG package (because I do have that installed, I'm not sure exactly why); would that potentially have caused the issue?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Luke Le on 31 Mar, 2015 04:34 PM

Hi Daniel,

this is in fact related to gnupg from homebrew. We've added a patch to MacGPG2 which adds the functionality of storing pass phrases in the keychain.
    Could you remove gnupg from homebrew and after that re-install GPG Suite.

That should fix it.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 03 Jun, 2015 02:38 PM

Closing, since no further user feedback was received. Should your problem persist, feel free to re-open this discussion any time.

All the best, steve

6. Steve closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2015 02:38 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac