Issue between GPGMail and Thunderbird Enigmail Plug-in

Vivek Krishnamurthy

12 Mar, 2015 07:34 PM

Hi there,

I seem to be having an issue in using the GPGMail beta 2.5b5 with correspondents using the Enigmail plug-in for Thunderbird on the Mac. When I sign an email in GPGMail, Thunderbird/Enigmail recognizes the valid signature. After having exchanged keys with a Thunderbird/Enigmail user, however, any encrypted email I send to such users is decrypted by Thunderbird/Enigmail, but the signaature itself is rejected as invalid. I'm not sure if this is an issue with GPGMail or with Enigmail, but I wanted to bring it to your attention. I've had this problem with two separate users of Thunderbird/Enigmail.

Thanks
Vivek

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 14 Mar, 2015 09:44 PM

Hi Vivek,

this could have several causes. I tested this with Thunderbird 31.5.0 + Enigmail 1.8a1pre. Could you let your friends test the enigmail nightly build:
    https://www.enigmail.net/download/nightly.php

See if that changes anything for the better.

Is an exchange server involved at any place?

All the best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by Vivek Krishnamu... on 16 Mar, 2015 06:20 PM

Dear Steve,

Thank you very much for your response. I will follow up with my friends. I know that one of my friends is using an IMAP server but I’m not sure if the other friend has an Exchange server somewhere in between. I’ll let you know and follow up.

Cheers
    Vivek

3. 3 Posted by Vivek Krishnamu... on 17 Mar, 2015 12:52 AM

Dear Steve,

I had my friend who does not have an Exchange server anywhere in his email configuration try this again with the latest version of Enigmail, but the same issue still crops up. Just wanted to let you know in the event you want to investigate further.

Thanks!
    Vivek

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 25 Mar, 2015 08:36 PM

Hi Vivek,

the cause of this problem could be, that this is a malformed mail. To take a closer look, we'd need the mail as .eml file. Please attach both the sent mail and the received email as .eml file to this discussion.

To do that

• open a new finder window
    • drag the mail in question to the finder
    • attach the resulting .eml file to this discussion

Also please send a signed and encrypted test mail to [email blocked]. in the message body please include a link to this discussion, so we can quickly reference the email and connect it to this issue here.

So far in my test when looking at any mail from GPGMail in Thunderbird + Enigmail on OSX all latest versions, I could not reproduce this issue.

Kindly,
    steve

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 03 Jun, 2015 01:23 PM

Closing, since no further user feedback was received. Should your problem persist, feel free to re-open this discussion any time.

All the best, steve

6. Steve closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2015 01:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac