Secret key to decrypt the message is missing

Tim

12 Feb, 2015 09:27 PM

Same issue here, Steve. I have the latest build of GPG tools but after having signed, encrypted and sent my message, I am not able to encrypt and read it. There is, I noted, a box to check that allows me to include the secret key prior to sending but I DO NOT do this in fear of sharing potentially sensitive information or perhaps negatively affecting the decryption on the recipient end. Perhaps my answer lies there?

I am not able to DECRYPT and read it, sry.

Kindly advise when convenient.

Tim

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 12 Feb, 2015 09:34 PM

Hi Tim,

first things first. Please do never post the serial number of your mac on the net. It's not really dangerous but it might be misused. I've removed the screenshot showing that number.

Then I've split this into a separate discussion since it turns out to be most effective to have a single user issue per discussion. Otherwise it's very difficult to keep a discussion clean and lean :)

Let's try to pin down where your problems are deriving from. For further investigations could you please provide a few more details.

• Copy all version info as described in this KB-article

• What are you trying to do and which steps are you taking to achieve that? At which step are you seeing the issue?

1. Step 1
    2. Step 2
    3. ...

• What are you expecting instead:

Please post any error messages as screenshots in jpg format. Provide as much detail as possible.

Attach png or jpg screenshots of error messages or steps leading to this problem.

I'm especially curious about a screenshot of that box asking for your secret key and you are right, please don't send your sec key. That is never to be done. But maybe this is just pinentry asking for your passphrase because you want to send a signed mail?

That information will help us to find an entry point for hunting down this problem.

Best regards, Steve

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 01 Jun, 2015 02:18 PM

Closing, since no further user feedback was received. Should your problem persist, feel free to re-open this discussion any time.

All the best, steve

3. Steve closed this discussion on 01 Jun, 2015 02:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac