Can't send email

Charles

11 Feb, 2015 08:30 PM

When I try to send email I get "Cannot send message using the server smtp.comcast." I haven't had any real need to encrypt email, but I thought it might be good to have, plus I wanted to support your efforts if I could get this to work. This is happening to messages that I am trying to send unencrypted.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 13 Feb, 2015 03:55 PM

Hi Charles,

this is a standard smtp outgoing mail server error.

Let's disable GPGMail for a second. Then please retry and see if the problem persists.

• shut down mail.app
    • open finder
    • navigate to /Library/Mail/Bundles or ~/Library/Mail/Bundles and copy GPGMail.mailbundle to your desktop
    • now delete GPGMail.mailbundle from the original folder

Restart mail and check in Mail.app > Preferences if you still see GPGMail. It should be gone.

All the best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by Charles on 13 Feb, 2015 04:32 PM

Steve, Thanks for getting back to me. I think I did it right. GPGMail.mailbundle is on my desktop and one is in my trash. The problem still exists. when I open a mail document to be sent there is the little green box in the upper right that asks for my password. I clicked on the box so it greyed out s/mime and tried send it that way. I’ll try again by putting the password (leaving the green OpenPGP on) in. I get the same message either way. The smpt .comcast...(offline) message comes up.

3. 3 Posted by Charles on 13 Feb, 2015 04:43 PM

I restarted the computer twice and the green box disappeared so I guess I need to talk to Comcast?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Steve on 13 Feb, 2015 05:42 PM

Hey Charles,

if the green box disappears, it means GPGMail was not detected by Mail.app (as expected since you removed it from the bundles folder).

If the issue then persists it clearly means, this is not GPGTools related. If this is an IMAP account maybe removing and readding that account to mail.app can solve the issue. Or there could indeed be temporary server issues with the comcast SMTP servers. So why not ask them if they are aware of any.

Feel free to keep us posted. And I hope you can find a solution for this account issue soon.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 01 Jun, 2015 02:54 PM

Closing, since no further user feedback was received. Should your problem persist, feel free to re-open this discussion any time.

All the best, steve

6. Steve closed this discussion on 01 Jun, 2015 02:54 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac