Keys not showing up in GPG Keychain after import

Daryl

03 Jan, 2015 09:05 PM

GPG Keychain
Version 1.2b3 (980b)
Mac OS X V 10.10.1

Describe your problem. Add as much detail as possible. Updated to new version of GPG Suite and imported keys saved from another machine. I have two Macbook Pro machines, both running OS X Yosemite v10.10.1. One machine is a year or so old and is for home use, the other machine is new and is for work use. I'm in the process of getting the work machine set up and transferring files from both the home MBP and my old HP Windows based work laptop.

I upgraded the home MBP to Beta 4 this morning and that went just fine. Exported my keys, including secret keys to a .asc file and transferred that to the new work MBP. I had earlier installed Beta 3 on the work MBP but hadn't used it yet. Updated work MBP to Beta 4 and attempted to import the transferred .asc key file.

I was prompted to confirm I wanted to import some revoked keys which are present in the exported keys, and confirmed that this is the case. When the process was complete, no keys were showing up in the GPG Keychain app except for the default GPG Tools key.

What did you expect instead

I expected that my keys would show up.

Describe steps leading to the problem.

1. ... Installed GPG Tools beta 3
  2. ... Installed GPG Tools beta 4
  3. ... Imported .asc file

I didn't see anything in the FAQs that spoke to this issue and don't know why one MBP worked fine while the other was experiencing a problem. Possibly it is because the work MBP is configured to use some corporate policies and scripts.

After reading through various articles on the support page, I did finally try a manual key import using terminal and GPG2.

I entered "GPG2 -- import /filepath/name.asc" and that seemed to work OK. Closed and reopened GPG Keychain and presto, keys are now showing up. Verified that I was able to encrypt and sign an email using the mail application as well as decrypt and verify the email, so it seems everything is working OK now.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Luke Le on 06 Feb, 2015 03:37 PM

Hi Daryl,

this is indeed a curious one. Unfortunately in order to debug this further, we'd have to have a look at your keys in the exported file, but since they probably include secret keys as well, we definitely don't want to do that.

What would help is, if you could try to export the keys, but at first only one, then two, and so forth until you have all of them.
    At some point the error should occur again, and then we'd know what key the problematic one is.
    Of course if you have a lot of keys this is very tedious.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Steve on 28 May, 2015 07:20 PM

Closing, since no further user feedback was received. Should your problem persist, feel free to re-open this discussion any time.

All the best, steve

3. Steve closed this discussion on 28 May, 2015 07:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac