Incorrect Message on a Decrypted Message

Graham Krizek

05 Dec, 2014 05:18 PM

GPGMail 2.5b3

This isn't an error that prohibits me from using GPGMail. It is simply an error in the message it returns in the Mail app.

I tried to decrypt a message, but It had been a while since I have done that. I didn't remember my password at first and tried several incorrect passwords. After multiple attempts I was able to get it right and the message decrypted and it displayed correctly. The message at the top of the email still read "Decryption failed with unknown error!" even though I successfully decrypted the message. It seems to remember the previous error message even when I am successful with my action.

This also happens when I cancel the password prompt. The message "You aborted the decryption of this message." appears which is correct. But once I go back to that email and successfully decrypt the message, that same error message is still there. It's still remembering my passed actions even though I am successful in decryption.

Here is the error I received:

An unknown error occurred while decrypting this message.

GPG error message:
gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...
gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...
gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID 623E6B36
gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID 0XXXXXX6, created 2014-07-19
"Name [email blocked]" gpg: public key decryption failed: Bad passphrase
gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

Please contact us, including the GPG error message, at http://support.gpgtools.org

Again, this doesn't impair me from using the tool successfully. It is simply an incorrect error message.

What did you expect instead

I expected the message on top of my email to either not be there at all or read a Successful! message.

Describe steps leading to the problem.

To replicate you must either enter an incorrect password multiple times and then the correct password. Or abort the password prompt, and then decrypt successfully after.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 10 Jan, 2015 06:12 PM

Hi Graham,

thanks for taking the time to report this problem.

We've a ticket for this problem and I've attached it to this discussion. If this discussion get's closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed so you'll receive a notification. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

All the best,
    steve

2. Steve closed this discussion on 11 May, 2015 07:57 PM.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac