Stopping repeated passphrase entry dialog boxes

Douglas

14 Feb, 2017 04:41 PM

I don't keep my GPG secret key unlocked, and so whenever I navigate my inbox in Mail and pass through a message that's encrypted, I get a prompt to enter my passphrase to decrypt it. That's fine. But often I don't want to actually decrypt that message, since I was just trying to navigate to a different message. I hit the Cancel button. The problem is that I will get prompted another half dozen or more times if there a multiple messages in the thread, as GPG Mail tries to decrypt each and every one of those, noticing each time that the secret key is locked and prompting me to unlock. Could you please find a way so that it does not prompt me again to decrypt those messages?

Thanks,

Douglas

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 15 Feb, 2017 12:49 PM

Hey Douglas,

welcome to the GPGTools support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

Since 10.12 Sierra, Apple has changed the way messages are loaded. That results in the pinentry dialog showing four times per message. So if you want to cancel the dialog, you will have to click cancel four times. If there are more messages in a thread, the process is repeated.

We have a ticket for this problem. I connected this discussion with the existing ticket. That means, should this discussion get closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed. That way you'll stay in the loop and get notified as soon as we have news. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

All the best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by thorbjorn on 16 Feb, 2017 06:10 AM

I'd prefer to never get a password dialog while browsing, just show an almost empty email, with an decrypt button, and if i click the decrypt button, ask for my password for thatn key.

mostly I just use my key for signing, but right now, the top email in my inbox (for emails not matching a filter) is an encrypted email, so everyytime i open the mail-client, it asks for my password 4 times, before I can change folder to where the email I was looking for could be found.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac