GPGSuite 2017.1b2 31b (beta feedback): installer not finishing installation

Robert Vaessen

27 Jan, 2017 08:46 AM

The new installer for the new GPGSuite 2017.1b2 31b (released 23 Jan, 2017 (according to https://gpgtools.org)) did not tell me that it had finished installation (on my macOS 10.12.3 iMac). I saw some notifications (from an application called 'Lingon X') and waited approximately 5 minutes. Then I launched Mail.app and System Preferences. The new beta is installed, and I'm not noticing any issues at the moment, but I'm thinking that the installer should have told me that it finished installation. I would check my Console for messages, but that hasn't worked properly since Sierra... (that's a different issue). Is this normal that the installer didn't report back after the installation had finished?

1. 1 Posted by Bob on 27 Jan, 2017 10:30 AM

How can I find this version?

2. 2 Posted by Robert Vaessen on 27 Jan, 2017 10:58 AM

In the Mail.app preferences, you can 'subscribe' to beta builds of GPG releases (see image). By clicking on 'Automatically check for updates' and 'Include beta builds' you will be notified (by a popup) that new builds are available. That's how I learned about the new update. I clicked on the popup to 'Install' the new build.

You can also obtain the nightly/beta builds at the following URL: https://gpgtools.org

3. 3 Posted by Bob on 27 Jan, 2017 11:06 AM

In your post you wrote “released Jan 27” so I thought there is a brand new version, because 2017.1b2 was actually released on Jan 24.
    I now found out, I already have 2017.1b2 31b.

Thanks for replying anyway.

4. 4 Posted by Robert Vaessen on 27 Jan, 2017 11:11 AM

Actually (according to: https://gpgtools.org) the latest beta (the one I downloaded/installed) was released on the 23rd, but I only learned about it (through the automatic updates) this morning. That's odd, I check email every day, and my computer is on/I'm logged in all the time. I'm surprised that I wasn't notified until today about the update. I'll edit my original post to correct the date so no one else is confused.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 28 Jan, 2017 05:34 PM

Hi Robert,

first things first: We waiting before enabling the beta update channel for all users to ensure there were no major bugs before the beta hits the streets. So sparkle updates showed with a delay while the beta was already annonced on the website.

Are you able to reproduce the problem with the installer not finishing? What happens if you manually download GPG Suite from the website and re-install (keys will not be touched). Does the installed finish as expected then?

All the best,
    steve

6. 6 Posted by Robert Vaessen on 29 Jan, 2017 05:56 PM

I just re-downloaded and 're-installed' GPGSuite, version 2017.1b2 31b - Which includes GPGMail 2.7b2 build 1192b. I did not 'uninstall' GPGSuite, I simply re-installed over the top of the existing installation. I quite mail and System Preferences before I attempted the re-install (but was still asked to quite Mail.app.

After installing the application the installer presented an 'Installation Done' dialogue window. It worked as expected. I'm not sure what I did that caused the 'Installation Done' to not appear the first time I installed GPGSuite.

I've noted no problems with the 2017.1b2 31b version of GPGSuite, but the only component that I've tested is the GPGPreferences and GPGMail plugin (In GPGPreferences - I checked all tabs, exercised 'Show Release Notes' (last updated Oct 14, 2016), and 'Check Now' buttons (under 'Updates' heading of Settings Tab). In GPGMail plugin I exercised same buttons w/no problems. I've also sent and received signed and encrypted messages with no problems noted.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Steve on 30 Jan, 2017 07:06 PM

If you were asked to quit Mail.app during install, then the previous attempt to close it had failed.

Having Mail and or Preferences open before installing should not be a problem.

Perfect. Glad, this is solved for you. I'm closing this discussion. Should you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

Best, steve

8. Steve closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2017 07:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac