GPGMail: GMail + Mail.app + GPG Suite 2016.12b1: Invalid Signatures

Ben

01 Jan, 2017 06:20 PM

Hi there!

My outgoing mails always have an invalid signature. At least, it is reported as such.

I use a GMail account with Mail.app. When I sign the message draft (no encryption involved) the mail gets send and Google (apparently) puts the mail in the “Sent Mails” folder. Those mails are then reported as “ATTENTION: The signature of this message is invalid! Message might have been modified…” and so on.

So, I don’t know if Google changes the message contents after it has been send or if the Beta here is broken and the signature is in fact valid.

Expected
I expect my signature to be intact

Additional info
Feel free to contact me to provide more input if necessary.

macOS           10.12.2     16C67
GPG Suite       2016.12b1   26b 
GPGMail         2.7b1       1179b
GPG Keychain    1.3.3b1     1249b
GPGServices     1.11        916 
MacGPG2         2.0.30      884 
GPGPreferences  2.0.2b1     908b
Libmacgpg       0.7         775 
pinentry        0.9.7       4

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Frank Sugino on 19 Jan, 2017 06:01 AM

Update: I sent an email with three pictures attached and I'm getting the dreaded signature is invalid message. Other emails with single attachments or just text are fine.

• Frank
  2. 32 Posted by heiCode on 19 Jan, 2017 10:13 AM

@Steve: No good news from me. Can not recognize any difference in behaviour. I kept all the sent mails I generated in that session with Luke. Same mails still show up the error.

Let me know when I can provide any more help or if you'd like to start another remote session. Won't be available during the day but maybe in the evening.

Btw: wondering about the version number of GPGMail (2.7b1). Sounds like the first beta? Please check Screenshot to verify the expected version is installed.

3. Support Staff 33 Posted by Steve on 19 Jan, 2017 01:03 PM

@heiCode: Yes, that is expected. We should have added the following: Please note that old messages showing the incorrect invalid error message will remain broken. So any tests will have to be done with new messages.

@Frank: Should you be available, could you hop on our live chat here: https://www.hipchat.com/gi8zHW4K3
    We are currently unable to reproduce the behavior you are seeing. If you are able to reliably reproduce the problem you are seeing at the moment, could you please export the message in question, so that we can have a closer look. To export, simply select the message in Mail.app and press CMD + SHIFT + S, select "Raw Message Source" as type and save it.

Attach the resulting .eml file to this discussion by visiting it in your browser (a mail reply should work but sometimes attachments do not arrive).

In case your problem concerns a message which arrived with invalid signature or otherwise broken, do export both the sent message and the received message.

You can create a new discussion for that if you don't want to attach the test mails to this public discussion and set that new discussion to private.

All the best
    steve

4. 34 Posted by heiCode on 19 Jan, 2017 01:30 PM

@Steve: That's a good point ; ) Just sent multiple new test-mails with attachments of different filetypes and multiple attachments. Everything seems to be fine now!

Thank all of you all for the support and a good job!

Cheers
    Heiko

5. Support Staff 35 Posted by Steve on 19 Jan, 2017 01:41 PM

Perfect. Glad, this is solved for you. I'm closing this discussion. Should you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

@Frank: feel free to open a new separate discussion for any remaining problems any time.

Best, steve

6. Steve closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2017 01:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac