GPGMail: Unable to encrypt mail on OS X El Capitan

Sushil Kambampati

06 Aug, 2016 06:49 AM

I wanted to send an encrypted email between two of my accounts (to see what that looks like on a web mail server), but the lock button remains greyed out and the tooltip says "This message can't be encrypted. You have to enter at least one recipient first."

I tried it with the [email blocked] address, the same thing. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 07 Aug, 2016 02:51 PM

Hey Sushil,

welcome to the GPGTools community support platform. Sorry you are having problems using GPG Suite.

Have you already created a key for your email address? If so, can you please double check the email you used for your key perfectly matches your email account at Mail.app > Preferences > Accounts.

If all that is ok, can you try sending a testmail to the account for which you have created a key. Sender and recipient should be identical.

Does that work?

All the best,
    steve

2. Steve closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2016 02:51 PM.

3. Sushil Kambampati re-opened this discussion on 07 Aug, 2016 03:26 PM

4. 2 Posted by Sushil Kambampa... on 07 Aug, 2016 03:26 PM

Hi, Steve,

Thanks for replying. So, I went to do what you suggested and guess what, it works! Sending to my own address works, and it works with other email addresses as well. What can I tell you, yesterday I tried so many times before I submitted the request. Between then and now I rebooted my computer, so I guess that may have had something to do with it.

Or else it was the [redacted] messing with me, which is why I wanted to get GPG tools in the first place.

Sorry for the bother.

Sushil

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Steve on 07 Aug, 2016 09:03 PM

Hey Sushil,

well, that's great news. Glad, this is solved for you. Something sure can get stuck and a restart may have resolved this. No bother at all.

I'm closing this discussion. Should you need further assistance or have questions you can re-open this discussion here or open a new one any time.

Best, steve

6. Steve closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2016 09:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac