Will need a license?

Steve Palm

26 Sep, 2015 03:27 PM

I dismissed the update dialog for the new beta of GPGMail, but the box at the top said that the beta would expire and after that I would need a license if I wanted to keep using it. Is this just a misunderstanding of terms, and did it just mean a new/updated version, or is it going to a paid model and I would have to buy a license?

Thanks for the clarification.

1. 1 Posted by sadkjl on 30 Sep, 2015 09:49 AM

Yes, i am confused as well. It is a scary thought, suddenly you are locked out of your own mailbox and decrypted files. Is there an true open source alternative for mac, it doesn't have to me fancy. But i've got a lot of decrypted backups etc. that I can't or don't wanna loose access too.

Thanks.

2. 2 Posted by Kevin on 01 Oct, 2015 04:02 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't mind paying for good software but I do want some transparency.

Right now the only way to run GPGMail is through a (thus far closed-source) beta that has an kill-date expiry, and then will require a license that hasn't been revealed in any way. It's a little discerning. What will it cost? What is the license agreement? When will we have details? It's been asked multiple times and the question is always ignored.

3. 3 Posted by innrwrld on 01 Oct, 2015 07:22 PM

I believe going forward there will be a small licensing cost for their product. You have to figure that the GPGTools devs have been doing this for free for quite a while now, sans the generous donations folks have made. That being said, I can't imagine it will be a break the bank kind of cost, probably just a few bucks. I'm pretty sure they mentioned a year ago that they would likely start charging a small fee going at some point down the road. Realistically, a small licensing cost for a great product is worth it for my security tools.

4. 4 Posted by Kevin on 01 Oct, 2015 08:12 PM

I'm completely fine with that. I'm actually very happy to pay for licenses.

We just need to know details or at least get some information about how much it will cost and when it will be required. As is, it seems like they're avoiding explaining what their plan is. They're moving the existing users that are using the free version onto what seems like a trial disguised as a beta that will expire and leave the existing users surprised.

I understand if they want to make some money, I just wish they'd actually communicate so we (the suers) can do some planning. It's encryption software so transparency is important, especially if they're going to be asking for money soon.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Steve on 22 Mar, 2016 10:49 PM

Hey all,

sorry for being quiet on this discussion so long. We are not sure on the definitive license fee yet but the price range will be somewhere around 10-20€. Licensing should be ready somewhere around Q2 2016.

All the best,
    steve

6. Steve closed this discussion on 08 Apr, 2016 08:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac