Latest Beta and OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Jared Jones

10 Jun, 2015 10:34 PM

GPGMail 2.5b6

On OS X El Capitan I added the new Mail.app plugin UUID to the allowed and approved plist inside of the bundle. Everything works great, however composing a message causes a crash with this log.

Edit by Steve: Crash log as txt file further down to keep this discussion readable.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Steve on 11 Jun, 2015 06:41 PM

HI Jared,

thanks for your interest in GPGMail. The current GPGMail is not compatible with OS X 10.11 developer preview at the moment.

We have a ticket for this problem. I connected this discussion with the existing ticket. That means, should this discussion get closed, it will be re-opened as soon as the ticket is closed. That way you'll receive a notification. Feel free to open a new discussions should you run into further problems or need assistance.

All the best,
    steve

2. 2 Posted by tokke on 11 Jun, 2015 09:06 PM

Hey!
    What UUID's are you adding to the /Library/Mail/Bundles/GPGMail.mailbundle/Info.plist?
    I can only find and add the UUID in the Mail.app/Contents/info.plist and it doesn't work with just that one.
    Regards,
    tokke

3. 3 Posted by Jared on 11 Jun, 2015 09:49 PM

I am adding:
    AB695A2B-4605-4A74-A99F-AF9F9C92C41B

4. 4 Posted by tokke on 12 Jun, 2015 07:12 AM

Weird.. I've added that UUID, but GPGMail is still disabled i Mail.app. Did you do anything other than adding the UUID?

5. 5 Posted by Jared on 12 Jun, 2015 08:33 AM

Yea, I built from source.

6. 6 Posted by steve on 12 Jun, 2015 04:05 PM

10.11 (Mail.app 9) also disables plugin for me

7. 7 Posted by Rasmus Skovdal on 16 Jun, 2015 08:28 AM

@Jared
    Okay, that makes sense. Now that I edited the plist in the source files and then built after that, it works (well, apart from the bug that you wrote about here in the first place). Thanks!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Steve on 16 Jun, 2015 10:07 AM

Jared's crashlog

9. 9 Posted by prich on 17 Jun, 2015 10:30 PM

@Jared Any special switches to rebuild ? Any warnings or errors enroute to a clean build/compile ?

10. 10 Posted by prich on 17 Jun, 2015 10:33 PM

@ jared

One more question, did you use the beta (v7.0) version of Xcode to compile ?

11. 11 Posted by Rasmus Skovdal on 17 Jun, 2015 11:45 PM

@prich

If you follow the installation guide from the GitHub page https://github.com/GPGTools/GPGMail <https://github.com/GPGTools/GPGMail> (and remember to edit the Info.plist-file before you build) then you’ll get it working like Jared.

12. 12 Posted by prich on 18 Jun, 2015 07:03 AM

I have lots of woes, for some reason /usr/include is not present on the preview version of El Capitan. Maybe I'll wait a bit. And to think I was looking to compile

13. 13 Posted by johnster on 20 Jun, 2015 07:23 AM

I rather wait for an official build from Steve.
    Hope that will be very soon.
    I would also pay a small fee for this very useful plug in.

J.

14. 14 Posted by drtjstone on 29 Jun, 2015 11:59 AM

El Capitan has some major changes in sandboxing and /usr/include and most of the /usr tree - other than /usr/local - is not available now to mere mortals.

15. 15 Posted by itkansas on 29 Jun, 2015 03:59 PM

While I think most of us certainly understand that 10.11 is Beta and the compatibility issues that exist -- I think most of us would just like a rough idea of when the first compatible build will be available for testing...

Is this a "any day now" or a "in the next couple months" -- those of us testing 10.11 need some guidance on where to expect compatibility for GPGMail to be on the calendar

16. 16 Posted by Jared on 29 Jun, 2015 04:01 PM

We can still disable rootless mode with NVRAM settings for testing. The issue with GPGMail is not rootless, there is an actual null reference being called on an asynchronous queue for grand central dispatch.

17. 17 Posted by milestone on 11 Jul, 2015 11:18 PM

THANKS, you made my day!

18. 18 Posted by leon.letto on 12 Jul, 2015 04:10 PM

Thanks for the directions. Got it to build without code signing (Mail loads but crashes when trying to use GPGTools). I thought I had it licked but no dice. :(

19. 19 Posted by plasmonyc on 18 Jul, 2015 12:43 PM

how are builds getting around this issue I'm having: $HOME/Documents/CODE/Libmacgpg/installerHelper/main.m:4:9: 'openssl/x509.h' file not found

20. 20 Posted by Dirk-WIllem van... on 20 Jul, 2015 08:07 PM

OpenSSL has been deprecated for a while now; and with 10.11 Apple has now removed the header files from the SDK.

So install manually (or as part of ports, etc) and add /opt/local/include and likewise /opt/local/lib (for ports) to the header/library search paths.

That lets you build things after some minor ARC cleanup fiddling & tightening of other includes and enum declarations (change includes to import).

21. 21 Posted by Tim Piessens on 17 Sep, 2015 06:52 AM

I have hacked the source code and have now a working version for El Capitan GM ( quick hack, not fully tested ).
    How can I contribute my source code ?

22. 22 Posted by Dominic on 17 Sep, 2015 09:32 AM

Hi Tim,

do you have a repo on github? I would like to review your changes.

Btw. you could create a pull request at https://github.com/GPGTools/GPGMail

Cheers

23. Support Staff 23 Posted by Steve on 17 Sep, 2015 04:09 PM

Dear all,

today we are announcing the very first alpha of GPGMail for OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

Please note that this is pre-release software, so make sure you backup your system prior to installing - use at your own risk.

GPGMail El Capitan (a1):
    https://releases.gpgtools.org/nightlies/

Got feedback? If you encounter trouble or glitches, please do get in touch. Make sure to select "Beta-Feedback" as Category-option and provide additional info like screenshots, screencasts or crash-logs:
    https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/discussion/new

Known Issues:

• GPGMail setting "Automatic downloads" can not be disabled #850
    • when re-opening an unencrpyted draft with "Encrypt drafts" setting active, the mail will be encrypted #851
    • Fullscreen: when creating a new mail, switching to fullscreen and sending that mail, you'll be stuck on a black screen #852

All the best,
    steve

24. 24 Posted by b on 17 Sep, 2015 04:42 PM

thanks much for your prompt work on this.

25. 25 Posted by john on 17 Sep, 2015 06:13 PM

This update doesn't work for me.
    I don't get the "incompatible plug-in" error on mail start, but
    I have the red dot in the settings.
    https://gpgtools.tenderapp.com/kb/gpgmail-faq/what-does-the-status-...

26. Support Staff 26 Posted by Steve on 17 Sep, 2015 06:33 PM

John, if you read the message that "MacGPG2 is not installed on your system" chances are, you only did install the GPGMail alpha without the other neccessary components.

Please install GPG Suite and after that re-install GPGMail a1 for 10.11.

27. 27 Posted by John Geerlings on 17 Sep, 2015 06:44 PM

You might be right….

28. 28 Posted by John Geerlings on 17 Sep, 2015 06:49 PM

Yep, that was the issue…

29. 29 Posted by Dominic on 17 Sep, 2015 06:59 PM

Thank you for the nightly build Steve.

Looks good so far, no bug found yet.

Thanks

30. 30 Posted by Tim Piessens on 17 Sep, 2015 09:28 PM

Hi,

I have just created a repository and pull request on github (first time).
    As I said, it is a very minor fix, but it got it working for me. I can read and send encrypted mails in El Capitan GM.
    Hope it helps for you. Thanks for the great software.

Regards,

Tim

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac